Default Need new GPS/Chartplotter

My GPS was stolen off the boat; so I need to replace it.

What's an inexpsnive unit that includes depth (fishfinder type mode ok) and
speed-over-water? Wouldn't mind water temp too; but that's only for curiosity
sake. Alarms: near arrival point; anchor drag, depth

Color unit is prefered, but B&W is ok to save a few bucks.

Thanks for you thoughts
-j

--- AntiSpam/harvest ---
Remove X's to send email to me.

Revcommend the Lowrance web site. Look it over and see if some of those
units don't meet your requirements.

Next step is to check all the on-line sources for pricing.

I have a Lowrance unit which integrats lots of functions via NMEA 2000
network. Very user friendly stuff.

Butch

Josh Assing wrote:
My GPS was stolen off the boat; so I need to replace it.

What's an inexpsnive unit that includes depth (fishfinder type mode ok) and
speed-over-water? Wouldn't mind water temp too; but that's only for curiosity
sake. Alarms: near arrival point; anchor drag, depth

Color unit is prefered, but B&W is ok to save a few bucks.

Thanks for you thoughts
-j

I believe you're from the Puget Sound area?
The Boat Show starts in under 4 weeks, so if you can hold off that long
you can do some serious one-stop shopping and observe the different
makes and models head-to-head.
Every major player will be at the show. Sometimes the pricing is a
little better at the show than otherwise, but the markup on electronics
is so ridiculously low to begin with it's hard to save a meaningful
amount unless something is being phased out. It would take you four
weeks to research everything piecemeal, so you would save a lot of time
spending a few hours making comparisons at a common location.

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 00:23:02 GMT, "Butch Davis" wrote:

Revcommend the Lowrance web site. Look it over and see if some of those
units don't meet your requirements.

I have & garmin & furuno & .... I just get overwhelmed.

Next step is to check all the on-line sources for pricing.

I have a Lowrance unit which integrats lots of functions via NMEA 2000
network. Very user friendly stuff.

Butch
"Josh Assing" wrote in message
.. .
My GPS was stolen off the boat; so I need to replace it.

What's an inexpsnive unit that includes depth (fishfinder type mode ok)
and
speed-over-water? Wouldn't mind water temp too; but that's only for
curiosity
sake. Alarms: near arrival point; anchor drag, depth

Color unit is prefered, but B&W is ok to save a few bucks.

Thanks for you thoughts
-j

--- AntiSpam/harvest ---
Remove X's to send email to me.

--- AntiSpam/harvest ---
Remove X's to send email to me.

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
oups.com...

Josh Assing wrote:
[...]

My experience is there is quite a range of prices on electronics, including
marine gps/sonar. Just for one example, the Lowrance LMS-337C DF,.after a
quick Google search revealed prices from $720 ~ $1150.

Last year I bought a Garmin RoadMate 760 and the price range I found was
from about $450 to $900.

When you decide on a model, a little Internet research can save some bux.
When buying from an unfamiliar seller I always check with resellerratings.
So far I've never been burned and I've spend significant $$ purchasing via
the web.

Other things to consider when buying on the Internet is the total cost which
includes shipping and tax if applicable.

I have a hummingbird 383c combo that I like a lot. I bought it off
eBay brand new for around $375.00 and it has been a good little unit
for me. I have a pontoon so my consol is not very big and I required
a smaller screen to fit but it is color, has dual beams, real time
adjustable window, split screen, you can set way points, and is just
full of features for the price.

--
Posted at author's request, using http://www.BoatingForumz.com interface
Articles individually verified to usenet standards. Visit URL to contact author/report abuse

Yes it has alarms for arrival, shallow water, low battery, water temp,
of course fish, you can save current track, favorite spots, nautical
miles or staute miles, set the sensitivity fish dectection,set goto
point and it plots the path to it but it does it in a straight line
but if you have some tricky navigating to do you can always plot your
path to key way points, back ground colors of white blue and black. I
like being able to switch between black background for night time
fishing and navigating and white. The black does not screw with your
eyes . All in all it’s a good little unit. I am sure there is better
ones out there but I am not to sure if they can compete on price vs.
features. There is one on ebay right now but the price higher then I
paid but at least it gives you a look. Check it out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Hummingbird-...QQcmdZViewItem

Jimmy