Default Required Reading for All Net Cops.....

You must have left out some links somewhere.

I couldn't find anything that said "Expressing an opinion about whether
a post might be appropriate for a particular newsgroup" (i.e. a cut 'n
pasted political editorial posted to a
recreational boating forum) "is the ultimate example of disgraceful
conduct on usenet."

There are reasons that (most of us) will cover our mouths when we
sneeze, say "excuse me" when we are forced to step in front of
somebody, use expressions like "please, thank you, you're welcome" etc.
Simple basic manners. Manners indicate that a person is aware of the
impact his or her actions can have on the society around them. Then
there are those few who feel that when they sneeze the object will be
to see how far the spittle and snot can fly, that anybody dumb enough
to stand in their way should be rudely shoved aside, and that other
basic courtesies are needless. A lot of people ultimately act
ridiculously simply because they can.

Chuck Gould wrote:

[...]

There are many web site that discuss those who like to post off topic
trolls, but I did find an interesting link at:

http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killf...y%20do%20it ?

6. Why do they do it?

No one knows why the Trolls act as they do, but there are several theories.

Clearly an individual Troll may be in one, or several of these groups,
or indeed
in none at all. It is difficult to believe, but possible, that a totally
normal
person would become a Troll.

6.1 The Infant or Attention Seeker theory

Some believe that the trolls are just adults who brains and morals have not

developed beyond childhood, and they are just behaving as attention
seeking children.

6.2 The retired bitter old person theory.

There is evidence that some Trolls are retired persons, with a good pension and

little to do with their lives. They may have suffered a personal loss
such as the
death of a much loved spouse which warped their outlook on life.

This type is particularly dangerous, because they may have ample funds to buy

computer equipment, own multiple domain names, and multiple access to
the internet.
Worse they may have, say 8 hour per day to invest in their "hobby".

6.3 The insane person theory.

Some Trolls may be clinically insane, indeed one posts as Mogadon John which may indicate that he/she is taking this *major* tranquiliser, or it may just be a joke.

6.4 The just evil theory.

There are people in this world who enjoy destruction. Some enjoy murdering children.

Some enjoy sexually abusing children. Some Trolls may be in a similar
category.

6.5 The sad git theory.

There are unfortunately people with such restricted lives that they cannot think

of anything useful or constructive to do with the powerful and expensive
kit which
they are using.

6.6 The loser theory.

This theory is that the Trolls are just losers who cannot succeed in anything in their

real lives. They can however disrupt usenet with relative impunity.