posted to rec.boats.paddle

Default Dry Suit Gasket Replacement: AquaSeal vs GE Silicione Adhesive?

I've always used AquaSeal and usually with a little Cotol to speed it up.

But every so often I have a partial tube of GE's clear silicone adhesive laying
around and I'm wondering if anybody's used the stuff to do a neck seal.

Seems like a pretty good adhesive for other purposes.

Flexibility? Adhesion to rubber?
--
PeteCresswell
posted to rec.boats.paddle

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
I've always used AquaSeal and usually with a little Cotol to speed it up.

But every so often I have a partial tube of GE's clear silicone adhesive laying
around and I'm wondering if anybody's used the stuff to do a neck seal.

Seems like a pretty good adhesive for other purposes.

Flexibility? Adhesion to rubber?

DON'T use silicone! It creates a very weak bond and leaves behind a
residue that makes it very difficult to get anything else to bond to the
surface. Either use Aquaseal or a glue made specifically for bonding
latex seals, like the one sold by OS Systems.
posted to rec.boats.paddle

I've used Goop for the past 12 years with success. I buy the cheapest.
Doesn't seem to matter whether its called Household, Plumbers, Marine etc.

Sincerely,
Carey Robson
www.CanoeBC.ca

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
I've always used AquaSeal and usually with a little Cotol to speed it up.

But every so often I have a partial tube of GE's clear silicone adhesive
laying
around and I'm wondering if anybody's used the stuff to do a neck seal.

Seems like a pretty good adhesive for other purposes.

Flexibility? Adhesion to rubber?
--
PeteCresswell

posted to rec.boats.paddle

Carey Robson wrote:
I've used Goop for the past 12 years with success. I buy the cheapest.
Doesn't seem to matter whether its called Household, Plumbers, Marine etc.

I haven't tried it for seals, but it doesn't surprise me to hear that it
works. BTW, the only difference between the various "GOOPs" is that
Marine GOOP contains UV inhibitors, which makes it best for exterior
applications where it will receive sun exposure. The others are all the
same product, with different labels. That info comes from the manufacturer.