posted to alt.sailing.asa,alt.sailing,ott.rec.sailing

Default Need O'Day 31 Line Diameters & Owner's Manual

I just bought a 1986 O'Day 31. I received a lot of paperwork with the
boat, but no owner's manual. Is there an owner's manual for this boat? If
anyone has one, I would like to get a copy.

I have to replace all the running rigging on the boat. The rigging is very
worn, but it appears that the size of the lines are as follows:
Reefing lines: 3/8"
Jib Halyard: 3/8"
Main Sheet: 1/2"
Main Halyard: 3/8"
Can anyone confirm that these are the right line sizes?

Thanks for any assistance.

posted to alt.sailing.asa,alt.sailing,ott.rec.sailing

Apparently my news server has missed many of the posts in reply to my
original question. Although I now am able to read posts from Dec 7 and Dec
8, my server still does not show any posts to this thread prior to that
(except Ringmaster's criticism on Dec 5!). I want to thank those of you who
responded, even though I have not seen your posts.

As a matter of fact, I did find a source for the owner's manual (D&R Marine
Supply in Masachusetts). One of the owners is a former employee of O'Day
and is very knowledgable about O'Day construction.

On the whole, my experience as a new sailor is that almost everyone has been
very cordial and helpful. Ringmaster, I do appreciate the fact that you
responded to my original question. Had I seen your response I would have
thanked you. You assume that I am some newbie who knows nothing about
boating or technology (newsgroups). Well, I may be a new sailor, but I an
certainly not a tech newbie. I provide critical computer programming and
support for a fortune 500 company.

I have monitored this newsgroup for some time now, and I have seen a lot of
helpful, informative and amusing discussion taking place. The one striking
thing that I noticed, though, is the insults and name-calling that take
place here. When I saw Ringmasters insult, I was not going to accept it
without comment. Normally I just ignore name-callers and trolls, but this
time I had enough.

Sorry if I took the newsgroup in the wrong direction, but foul insults from
people like Ringmaster do not belong in a newsgroup like this.

BFan wrote:
[...]

You just have to have a thick skin to stay around here...if you ignore
the noise, there are some great people here with good advice.
posted to alt.sailing.asa,alt.sailing,ott.rec.sailing

"BFan" wrote in
message ...
I provide critical computer programming and
support for a fortune 500 company.

yeah, you and everybody else on the Net.

SV

posted to alt.sailing.asa,alt.sailing,ott.rec.sailing

"Scotty" wrote in message
news

"BFan" wrote in
message ...
I provide critical computer programming and
support for a fortune 500 company.

yeah, you and everybody else on the Net.

SV

Me too.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa,alt.sailing,ott.rec.sailing

Capt. JG wrote:
"Scotty" wrote in message
news
"BFan" wrote in
message ...
I provide critical computer programming and
support for a fortune 500 company.

yeah, you and everybody else on the Net.

SV

Me too.

I used too. At the time it seemed real critical, with hindsight its
really not that critical, and soon it will all be in the Great Bit
Bucket in the Sky. Actually, since I worked on spreadsheet software,
there probably were a few million folks that used my stuff, but it was
all cosmetic, graphics, and performance. I never changed the cell
engine or formula evaluator.

One of the last little things I did was to be on call on New Year's
Day, 2000, on the chance that the Millennium Bug would hit. I did a
few hours of prep to make sure I knew where sources were, and promised
to come right in, sober at midnight if needed, when it hit the fan.
Nothing came of it, of course, and I got a $500 bonus for my effort.
posted to alt.sailing.asa,alt.sailing,ott.rec.sailing

"Jeff" wrote in message
. ..
Capt. JG wrote:
"Scotty" wrote in message
news
"BFan" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Ah, the millennium bug debacle... we had a party and hoped it would all
end... no such luck.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"BFan" wrote in message
When I saw Ringmasters insult, I was not going to accept it
without comment. Normally I just ignore name-callers and trolls, but this
time I had enough.

It sounds like you have a bit of an Ego problem. It really doesn't matter
what strangers on Usenet think of you. We cannot affect your next pay rise.
We cannot affect how your wife, friends or family treat you. Our opinion of
you is totally irrelevant. If you want to take offence from total
strangers, then you probably need a little bit of therapy.

Sorry if I took the newsgroup in the wrong direction, but foul insults

from
people like Ringmaster do not belong in a newsgroup like this.

Actually, foul insults are quite welcome here. Most of the posters are not
only mature enough to recognise the wit in a good insult, but they
appreciate the humour.

Regards

Donal