Default I can't believe this.............

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 14:09:50 -0500, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
wrote:

JimH wrote:
"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
oups.com...

Basskisser wrote:
I guess you'd have to read JimH's original post. No mention of boats,
just cold and lights. If we are going t go there, then everything
could
be considered on topic, including political trolls.
Gould wrote:

I agree that JimH's post didn't mention putting lights on boats.

And it's true that 2-3 guys use this NG as a sort of "myspace" page,
fulfilling a need to communicate the smallest details of daily life to
a tiny group of unkown individuals.

JimH wrote:

You term as sheriff expires at the end of the year. Go find another job
already.

I'd make a lousy dentist. No way to know when you're going to hit an
exposed and hypersensitive nerve. :-)

You really shouldn't have "snipped" the rest of my reply, however. I
was half-assed defending your silly thread, and pointing out that
goofball posts like "I took a photo of our dog scratching his ear with
my new D90000 camera with the 6.8-400mm lens that I bought on Ebay for
$XXX,XXX" are a lot less destructive than "Republicans are assholes,"
"Bush is an idiot" "Hillary is a lesbian" or "Democrats support the
terrorists" cut 'n pastes.

There is a subtle but important difference between having anything
compelling to post and feeling compelled to post just anything.

Get a life Chuck.

JimH,
Why are you offended by what Chuck said?

That's JimH's way of staying on Harry's 'good side' so he'll have a friend.

Calif Bill wrote:
"basskisser" wrote in message
oups.com...

JohnH wrote:
On 27 Nov 2006 08:49:12 -0800, "Chuck Gould"
wrote:

basskisser wrote:

So, in your dumb world, a post about Xmas lights is on topic in
rec.boats? Really? Are you really saying that?

Stranger things have happened.

I'll be rigging some holiday lights on my boat this afternoon. (They
might look a lot like some of the "Christmas Lights" mentioned in this
thread, but I couldn't find any bulbs stamped with images of a baby in
a manger or any reference to electric lights of any type in either of
the two versions of Jesus' birth in the Bible).

In the Puget Sound region, most waterfront communities have a "lighted
boat parade" during December. Very popular events, with throngs of
people jamming the shorelines to watch the
lighted boats go by.

Wish we had some of that 50 degree weather JimH is referring to. I
think western Washington and Ohio decided to swap weather for a few
days. Temps in the 20's and 30's here, over a foot of snow in
Bellingham and other northern towns. We normally experience temps in
the mid 40's this time of year, and seldom dip below freezing near sea
level.

Chuck, have you given any thought to putting a sign on your boat saying,

"These are NOT Christmas lights!"

That would prevent any confusion.

I didn't know they had electric incandescent (or LED) lights when Jesus
was allegedly born.

They did have lights. Why do lights have to be electric?

They don't. But how many candles do you see on Christmas trees or on
boats during Xmas parades? Not to overly confuse you, but do you
comprehend JimH's original post? Do you think he was "stringing"
candles outside of his house? Furthermore, let's just ask Chuck, seeing
how JohnH was referring to Chuck's lights on his boat for the holidays.
Chuck, are the lights you are putting on your boat powered by
electricity?

wrote:

basskisser wrote:

[...]

Frigg'n idiot. The statement you made is there were no Christmas lights in
the past before electricity. Originally trees were decorated with candles.
Unsafe, but no osha then.

ink.net...

wrote:

basskisser wrote:

[...]

Bill, ignore the boy. He just likes to argue.

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 19:56:01 GMT, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

"basskisser" wrote in message
roups.com...

wrote:

basskisser wrote:

[...]

Many Germans still use candles on their Christmas trees.

wrote:

basskisser wrote:

[...]

Uh, no, that WASN'T the statement I made. THIS was the statement I
made:
I didn't know they had electric incandescent (or LED) lights when Jesus
was allegedly born.

Are you REALLY not bright enough to know the difference???? I never
said there were no Xmas lights before electricity!!!!!!! EVER.

JimH wrote:
ink.net...

wrote:

basskisser wrote:

[...]

Boy???? You've proven yourself to be a low life, and a liar. You've
also proven that you are scared of confronting someone you've lied
about.

On 27 Nov 2006 04:44:52 -0800, "basskisser"
wrote:

Jack Goff wrote:
On 26 Nov 2006 07:13:23 -0800, "basskisser"
wrote:

JimH wrote:
.........Weather!!!!!!!

Mid 50's and sunny. It has been this way since last Tuesday and is supposed
to stay this way till next Friday.

I was able to put up most of the outside Christmas lights (will finish
tomorrow) and without freezing my back end off.
;-)

What does this have to do with boats?

It was 70 today, and we took the boat out for a while. Also did the
Christmas lights thing thins morning, and finished up this afternoon
after boating.

A wonderful day.

So, in your dumb world, a post about Xmas lights is on topic in
rec.boats? Really? Are you really saying that?

Are you really saying that the post was about Christmas lights? Not
weather? Really? With a title of:"I can't beleive this...
Weather!!!" C'mon...

The post was about the nice weather, and you asked what that had to do
with boats.

In my post, I noted that the nice weather allowed my to take my boat
out. I didn't make a statement that the original post was either on
or off topic, just what the weather allowed me to do.

Why so argumentative?

JohnH wrote:

Chuck, have you given any thought to putting a sign on your boat saying,

"These are NOT Christmas lights!"

That would prevent any confusion.

That would be silly for a couple of reasons.

First, there's no such thing as a "Christmas light" . My lights are red
and green, like holly.
Holly is a spiritually significant plant in a lot of religious
traditions and is even seen in Christian churches, along with venerated
evergreen trees in some instances. (Red is the color of animal life,
green is the color of plant life, and holly blooms at winter solstice).

Second, if the same people who believe that venerated evergreens, an
elf named Santa Claus, flying reindeer, and animated snowmen are an
inseparable part of a Christian religious holiday see the lights on my
boat and want to consider them "Christmas lights", then it's no skin
off my nose and they can go right on ahead and call them anything they
choose.

The Special People's cruise is next Sunday, and if having some lights
on the boat makes the day a bit more memorable for my developmentally
disadvantaged passengers, then the lights are serving their intended
purpose. If somebody watching our parade from on shore thinks a warm
and happy thought for a moment as the lighted boats go by, then they
have served a secondary purpose.

And besides; I celebrate a very old tradition this time of the year and
it *includes* Christmas.
I am not "anti-Christmas". I assume that most open minded people
realize that several major faiths celebrate something at solstice time,
and are not offended when people don't automatically give one of the
holidays exclusive rights to the entire month of December. :-)

Nope, no sign needed. Anybody can call my holiday lights anything they
want to. I'll even be wearing a red and white "Santa" hat for the
event. My shuttle pipes arrived today, so I hope to bone up on a few
tunes about sleigh rides, flying reindeer, and dancing snowmen before
next Sunday. You ain't heard a "Christmas" tune until you've heard one
played on a bagpipe. I'll literally have a "captive" audience, unless
somebody wants to go for a swim.

ACP ACP is offline

"basskisser" wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:

basskisser wrote:

[...]

Did you ever stop and think that you may be taking most this stuff way too
seriously?