Default flat trailer tires

My roomate bought a boat w/trailer in 1991. He used it 3 times in that
year. It has been sitting in the garage unused since then. I finally
want it out of the garage. Of course the tires are flat and look dry
rotted. I took one of the wheels off and was suprised it took air
pressure. Removed the second and it won't pressurize. The seal between
the rim and the wheel is broken. What can I use to put around the outer
circumference of the tire to pull it in so it will seal and pressueize?
Besides taking it somewhere and having them do it.
Thanks for any info. Dan.

"DannyB" wrote in message
oups.com...
My roomate bought a boat w/trailer in 1991. He used it 3 times in that
year. It has been sitting in the garage unused since then. I finally
want it out of the garage. Of course the tires are flat and look dry
rotted. I took one of the wheels off and was suprised it took air
pressure. Removed the second and it won't pressurize. The seal between
the rim and the wheel is broken. What can I use to put around the outer
circumference of the tire to pull it in so it will seal and pressueize?
Besides taking it somewhere and having them do it.
Thanks for any info. Dan.

Try this at your own risk-
Remove wheel from trailer. A small 1 second squirt of ether-based 'starting
fluid' into the tire, lit with a BBQ lighter, usually creates a small
explosion just big enough to blow the tire onto the rim.

DannyB wrote:
My roomate bought a boat w/trailer in 1991. He used it 3 times in that
year. It has been sitting in the garage unused since then. I finally
want it out of the garage. Of course the tires are flat and look dry
rotted. I took one of the wheels off and was suprised it took air
pressure. Removed the second and it won't pressurize. The seal between
the rim and the wheel is broken. What can I use to put around the outer
circumference of the tire to pull it in so it will seal and pressueize?
Besides taking it somewhere and having them do it.
Thanks for any info. Dan.

Soapy water? I believe auto stores sell the liquid sealer used by garages.

Try this at your own risk-
Remove wheel from trailer. A small 1 second squirt of ether-based
'starting fluid' into the tire, lit with a BBQ lighter, usually creates a
small explosion just big enough to blow the tire onto the rim.

That's my favorite tire trick, it works!

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 18:58:55 -0500, "Steve P"
wrote:

Wow, I'm surprised that Tom didn't know about this technique! Use a belt,
ho-hum.

I'm into explosions - not stupidity. :)

Besides, the one time I did that was on a tractor tire - didn't work
worth a damn.

The belt method worked like a dream. :)

Your belt fits around a tractor tire?

Thanks for all of the information. I took off the second wheel and
brought it indoors to get the tire warm. The next day I took it into
the garage, with the compressor nozel at ready, poured some water into
the break of the seal, with some pressure from me at that point was
able to get the tire to pressurized. I only filled the tires with 15
lbs of pressure fearing a blowout. Dang dry rotted tires. It, and, both
tires have held enough to put back on the trailer. Now will get that
thing out of the garage and into the back yard. Need a trailer jack of
some sort on the tongue of the trailer to move it. It's a 14' aluminum
boat. Have removed the motor but it is still very heavy. Trailer and
all.
Thanks again.
Dan.

DannyB wrote:
Thanks for all of the information. I took off the second wheel and
brought it indoors to get the tire warm. The next day I took it into
the garage, with the compressor nozel at ready, poured some water into
the break of the seal, with some pressure from me at that point was
able to get the tire to pressurized. I only filled the tires with 15
lbs of pressure fearing a blowout. Dang dry rotted tires. It, and, both
tires have held enough to put back on the trailer. Now will get that
thing out of the garage and into the back yard. Need a trailer jack of
some sort on the tongue of the trailer to move it. It's a 14' aluminum
boat. Have removed the motor but it is still very heavy. Trailer and
all.
Thanks again.
Dan.

I have a tongue dolly to help move my 2000 lb boat/trailer around.

tailpipe in saltwater when launching s o General 9 May 11th 06 08:18 PM
ramp launching stories (These are funny!) FREDO General 1 August 24th 05 04:45 AM
Trailer Tires Chris General 3 June 16th 04 02:40 PM
Where to find ramp stories? designo General 15 December 9th 03 09:57 PM