Default Trip called off...

Oh well - the trip to see the Mainships is called off. We set up for
Thursday morning - the broker is sick or something.

Time out! When did a Mainships become a candidate? Which one are you
drooling over? Them there is some nice boats.

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
Oh well - the trip to see the Mainships is called off. We set up for
Thursday morning - the broker is sick or something.

Time out! When did a Mainships become a candidate? Which one are you
drooling over? Them there is some nice boats.

I am not saying anything.

Eisboch

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
Oh well - the trip to see the Mainships is called off. We set up for
Thursday morning - the broker is sick or something.

Time out! When did a Mainships become a candidate? Which one are you
drooling over? Them there is some nice boats.

I am not saying anything.

Eisboch

Well, maybe I will. Before Mainship became part of Luhrs they used to make
many models including sedans and trawlers. We looked at a couple of the
sedans several years ago and didn't care for them for a number of reasons.
I think now, as part of Luhrs they have reduced the Mainship models to a
Pilothouse series and a Trawler series. I really like the Trawler series.
Haven't seen any of the Pilothouses.

Eisboch

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
Oh well - the trip to see the Mainships is called off. We set up for
Thursday morning - the broker is sick or something.

Time out! When did a Mainships become a candidate? Which one are you
drooling over? Them there is some nice boats.

I am not saying anything.

Eisboch

Did I miss a 4 day discussion about this? :-(

Last year, I stopped at a local marina to pick up some polyester snakes, and
I was stopped dead in my tracks by a Mainship trawler in the yard. Gorgeous
boat. A salesman came out of the office to ask if I was interested. I said I
was, but my bank account was not. He said he was nuts about the boat, and
rolled a ladder up to it & said "Take a look anyway - maybe you'll become
obsessed with it". Even the smallest details were damn near perfect.

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
Oh well - the trip to see the Mainships is called off. We set up for
Thursday morning - the broker is sick or something.

Time out! When did a Mainships become a candidate? Which one are you
drooling over? Them there is some nice boats.

I am not saying anything.

Eisboch

Well, maybe I will. Before Mainship became part of Luhrs they used to
make many models including sedans and trawlers. We looked at a couple of
the sedans several years ago and didn't care for them for a number of
reasons. I think now, as part of Luhrs they have reduced the Mainship
models to a Pilothouse series and a Trawler series. I really like the
Trawler series. Haven't seen any of the Pilothouses.

Eisboch

Although we're all capable of evaluating these things objectively, I wonder
sometimes if a boat looks more attractive because it's a type you rarely see
in your area. Here, the one I saw stood out as unique because it was not a
bubble boat. And, it reminded me of my dad's 32 ft Luhrs.

"Eisboch" wrote in message

Although we're all capable of evaluating these things objectively, I
wonder sometimes if a boat looks more attractive because it's a type you
rarely see in your area. Here, the one I saw stood out as unique because
it was not a bubble boat. And, it reminded me of my dad's 32 ft Luhrs.

When we were shopping for our first new boat we must have looked at over a
dozen different manufacturers and did some basic research on all of them.
Then, one day, I saw the Navigator sitting on the hard in a dealership. I
had never seen one or even heard of one ... I knew absolutely nothing about
them. So, I started doing some research on the history and asking around.
Being a west coast boat, very few here on the east knew anything about them.
What was impressing me about it was how it was built, particularly in the
engine room. Compared to other manufacturers of the same approximate sized
boat everything seemed heavy duty, including the stringers. It's not as
fancy in terms of finish work in the cabins and staterooms as some others,
but it's neat and cleanly done.

Anyway, we continued looking around and then ran into a old salt who ran
boats back and forth to Florida for the owners. Many of the boats he ran are
very well known and have excellent reputations. I asked him which, of all
the boats he had made the run in over the years, would be his choice as
being the best all around. He answered, "A west coast boat called a
Navigator". Up until this point he had no idea we had looked at one. When
I told him, he spent some time telling us sea tales of some of his trips and
the performance of the Navigator in heavy seas.

So, we went back and looked harder at it. Hired a surveyor who confirmed my
layman's observation of the stout nature of the hull. Broke out the
checkbook and we've enjoyed it very much since.

Eisboch

Harry Krause wrote:

BTW, no matter what anyone tells you or what you read, if you see
evidence of osmotic blistering on a boat you are thinking of buying,
move on. Those in the broker business will try to convince you it is
"only cosmetic," but it can have a far greater impact than that. I was
looking at a boat that had had some blistering repaired and noticed that
more pustules were breaking out elsewhere.

Please do tell how the typical gelcoat blisters found on most used
boats have a "far greater impact" than cosmetic.

David Pascoe, a surveyor who hates dealers and brokers as much as
anybody possibly could, has written that the idea the blisters damage
the structural integrity of a boat is a "misperception" and states that
after examining 4000 used boats with some degree of blistering he found
only about 10 where the blisters actually created an issue with
structural integrity. By my math, that's 0.25%- hardly the sort of
probability that should foster a rule of thumb "run away quickly if you
spot a blister". If a prospective buyer hires a decent surveyor and the
blisters are classified as "cosmetic", there would be no reason to pass
on a boat that was otherwise attractive. In fact, it's pretty common to
demand a further discount once blisters are discovered (most of the
time they are under the waterline and won't be seen until the survey
haulout), and then once the deal closes boat for many many years
without doing a darn thing about the unsightly but harmless pimples on
the bottom.

Pascoe's entire text on the subject:

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/BuyingBlisterBoat.htm

Please elaborate on your rule of thumb.

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Eisboch" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
Oh well - the trip to see the Mainships is called off. We set up for
Thursday morning - the broker is sick or something.

Time out! When did a Mainships become a candidate? Which one are you
drooling over? Them there is some nice boats.

I am not saying anything.

Eisboch

Did I miss a 4 day discussion about this? :-(

Last year, I stopped at a local marina to pick up some polyester snakes, and
I was stopped dead in my tracks by a Mainship trawler in the yard. Gorgeous
boat. A salesman came out of the office to ask if I was interested. I said I
was, but my bank account was not. He said he was nuts about the boat, and
rolled a ladder up to it & said "Take a look anyway - maybe you'll become
obsessed with it". Even the smallest details were damn near perfect.

You're far too easily impressed, IMO.

Mainship builds a good boat, better than many, but it definitely should
not compete in the elite class. The Mainship franchise has wandered
around from brokerage to brokerage in this region for about the last
ten years, and among the reasons one hears for this is frequently
"quality control issues."

Maybe their express style lobster and picnic boats are different or
better than their trawlers. We only see the trawlers in any number up
this way- and not really even that many of those.

Would I buy a Mainship? Maybe, for the right price, but I wouldn't
describe the boat as "damn near perfect". "Better than average in many
ways" would be a lot closer, IMO.

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
oups.com...

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Eisboch" wrote in message

[...]

I wasn't aware of the quality issues, like the ones Harry mentioned. It was
a 10 minute romance. Fortunately, I'm crazy when it comes to researching
large purchases, so I probabably would've had it surveyed 37 times.

Hang on tight! Sudden left turn: Does anyone make aluminum hulls in the
30-ish foot range? If not, why not? Please provide a 3 page essay, single
spaced.