Default How to Drill Out a Broken Bolt?

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
Gene Kearns wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 13:12:14 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

NO! You DO NOT use a drill! You drill into the bolt to make a space for
this
tool. Then, you give the drill to your wife and instruct her not to let
you
have it again until you're ready to drill the next bolt. I don't care WHAT
the hardware guy told you. If this is the tool you bought, he gave you the
wrong instructions. And, if this tool came in its original package, AND
you
opened it carefully, you still have the instructions.

Ok, Jay..... stop. Take a deep breath and THINK about what you are
doing.

1) First and most important thing is to READ *all* of the
instructions. Next, don't do *ANYTHING* until you *UNDERSTAND* the
instructions.

2)Second thing is that you need to realize how important it is to
develop a *feel* for what you are doing. To even suggest putting a
screw extractor into a drill screams the fact that you have no
understanding of the tactile feedback involved in the job. An
experienced mechanic doesn't strip bolts because he knows how removing
one should *feel*. This is the next thing you need to explore... or
you are constantly going to be fixing things that you have broken....
and you are constantly going to be breaking things.....
--

And Jay....if and when you respond to this message, and mine (before
Gene's), please do not mention the motor, or who's fixing it now. That'll

I re-read the instruction of the extractors from IRWIN (being sold in
ACE Hardware). Actually, it doesn't say how to use the extractors. It
only mentions which size of extractor for which size of hole, and which
drill bit to use. Anyway, based on the extractor (from Black and
Decker) that is being sold in Home Depot, I am supposed to use it
hammer to put it in the hole before using a tap wrench to (hopefully)
remove the broken bolt. I thought they work the same way; that's why I
used a hammer to put the extractor into the hole.

Anyway, I didn't hammer it hard because I didn't want to increase the
pressure inside the hole and make the bolt even harder to remove.
Moreover, I was also afraid that the extractor might break (based on
info from past posts in this newsgroup). Therefore, I went easy on the
hammer.

Good thing this is all behind me now.

Jay Chan

Wayne.B wrote:
On 27 Oct 2006 06:56:13 -0700, "
wrote:

Yes, this is exactly what the marine mechanic proposed to me when I
brought the lower unit to his store. One question that I would like to
ask you: Do we need to re-apply the heli-coil insert whenever we
replace the bolt (like when we need to replace the impeller)?

Quoting from he

http://www.emhart.com/products/helicoil/standard.asp

"Screw-Lock Inserts positively secure threaded members against
loosening caused by vibration and shock. They have a high reusable
factor due to the exclusive HELI-COIL Resilient Screw-Lock which
permits frequent removal and reassembly of bolt without appreciable,
loss of torque."

Thanks for the encouraging info. Now, I feel better of going to use
that insert.

Jay Chan

wrote in message
ups.com...
wrote:

[...]

I had the same thoughts about the hammer possibly causing problems. As far
as the tap wrench, I suspect they're recommended because they might help
keep the tool centered as your try and turn it. Hand closer to turning axis,
in other words, especially at difficult working angles. I used an open end
wrench without a problem, but I was working on a faucet, with plenty of
room.

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 10:24:21 -0500, "Eisboch"
wrote:

I have to figure
out how to run a 3 phase motor on the 240 volt, single phase house power. I
suppose I could change the motor... or get one of those converters that
produces 3 phases power from single phase.

Or you could buy a 3 phase generator. Tell Mrs E it's emergency power
for the horse barn. :-)

removing a bolt (from an old evinrude) [email protected] General 3 September 25th 06 01:41 AM
what type of keel bolt should you in wood boat and iron keel Don Boat Building 5 October 2nd 05 08:57 PM
PB Blaster Gogarty Cruising 8 September 7th 05 03:13 AM
keel bolt broken 75 hunter James O'Brien Boat Building 1 July 7th 04 02:54 AM
removing corrosion William G. Andersen General 12 June 11th 04 06:25 PM