Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default what size vehicle for towing?

Hi there,
My wife and I are looking to purchase a small cruiser in
the near future, and one of the things we're considering when it comes
down to the size of the boat is the ability of our vehicle to
succesfully tow it and put it in the water.

I've read that with bigger boats you need a pickup, but would a large
conversion van do? We own a big Chevy conversion with the larger of the
two 8 cylinder engines in it, so for power and weight I don't think we
have a problem. The only difference perhaps might be in the automatic
gear box and drive train - would it be less sturdy than that of a
truck?

If anyone could give us a bit of advice it would be much appreciated,
as it may help determine our limits as to what we can get size-wise.
Half-the reason we're thinking all this is that the van is nearly paid
off and we can put the same money towards a 23' - 25' day cruiser or
weekender, but it's going to be a little self-defeating if we have to
get another vehicle just to tow the boat the 30 miles or so to the
nearest luach facility at Sanford, here in Central Florida. Permanently
berthing the boat at a marina is of course a possibility, but I'd like
the flexibility of being able to tow it directly to either the east or
west coasts at need.

Thanks........Tim

Recalled yet again! Gilligan ASA 15 October 17th 06 01:41 AM
Subaru Tribeca = Boulevard Car! Bob Crantz ASA 50 December 6th 05 03:11 PM
Relevance of length of vehicle to safe trailer towing Harry Krause General 7 April 22nd 04 08:48 PM
Ignorant Dupes jlrogers ASA 109 August 11th 03 11:16 AM
The same people Simple Simon ASA 28 July 23rd 03 03:20 PM