Default Dumbass!

I went to check on the repairs on my boat this morning, get the winterizing
set up and square away on my bill. The engine was running rough after my
overheating episode this summer. My new mechanic found that the port side
exhaust manifold gaskets had failed due to the overheating and were allowing
water into 2 of the cylinders. They also found that the oil cooler was
leaking and the wrong spark plugs were installed (I had my old marina do a
tune up on the boat last summer).

Every time the *OMC Certified* mechanic at my old marina touched my boat he
screwed something up. First he never replaced the impeller like I asked him
to, saying he checked it and was working fine. Then the boat overheated
because the impeller failed. Then he installed the wrong temperature
thermostat when trying to "fix" the problem, never finding the bad manifold
gasket. Earlier he used the wrong spark plugs during a routine tune-up.

Boy am I glad we switched marinas and now have a good mechanic. ;-)

Jim, did the "new" mechanic feel there was no other engine damage?

Unless the winterizing is already done, I'd still ask them to run a
compression test, to see if a cylinder is low on compression. ie burned
halve, blown head gasket, or even a cracked head.

These engines are pretty tough, but can still be hurt by accessive
heat, and in some cases, it doesn't take much, either.

JimH wrote:
[...]

Wow! Sounds like more bad karma. Hope everything works out for Jim. ;)

JimH wrote:
[...]

If you want a job done right, you've gotta do it yourself, that's what
I've always gone by and so far so good.

JimH wrote:
[...]

Actually it is good karma John as things are all fixed and I found a
great marina and mechanic.

My *bad karma*, as you and Reggie talked about in recent months, was
due to a dumbass presenting himself as an OMC certified mechanic. My
other *bad karma* was due to an old sump pump I failed to change.

LOL....I guess this *karma* thing is easy to turn around.

Hope everything works out for Jim. ;)

Why thank you John, but if already has. ;-)

Anyway........Friends are coming over in 15 minutes or so to watch the
OSU/BGSU game and then feast on 6 slabs of baby back ribs I marinated
in my special wet rub overnight. 3 slabs are cooked.....3 more are in
the oven as I type this. They will later be slathered with BBQ sauce
and grilled for 5 to 10 minutes on the outside grill.

Beer is on ice. Cole slaw was made this morning. Mmmm, mmmmm.

If you are eating in the livingroom in front of the wide screen, I hope
you have the place covered in paper towels, or a big painters drop
cloth.

Ribs? be careful, you might actually get that sauce in your mouth!

LOL!

JimH wrote:
[...]

I remember telling JimH that his mechanic was a dumbass last summer, for
all the reason listed here. Yet, JimH response was his mechanice was an
OMC certified mechanic, and who was I to question his mechanice's
judgment. There is an old expression, "Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool my twice, shame on me". I remember JimH not only getting fooled
over and over again, but being very nasty when I told him him mechanic
was an dumbass whose ignorance was going to cost him money. Some
people wonder why so many bad things happen to them, when to everyone
else it is obvious.

JimH wrote:
[...]

JimH is not known as one who heeds good advice. It sounds like his new
mechanic is sure finding a lot of things to 'fix'. I hope he's not letting
himself in for another scam. I'd be checking a few things myself before
letting all that work be done.

But hey, he didn't ask for my advice, and if he did I wouldn't see it
anyway.

James Sweet wrote:
JimH wrote:
[...]

Do you do your own dentistry? What about surgery, do you use a mirror
with the scapel?