Genius? Not!

Default Dumbass things I've done and learned ...

Ok, so I'm new to boating and I've got an 18 foot boat with which to get my
feet wet. Here's the first couple of dumbass things I've done with or to my
new boat. Let's hope that I start learning from other people's mistakes and
don't make the same one's twice. In fact, I wish that for everyone!

Did you know that when you raft up with a friends taller boat that someone's
fender is going to rub the decal off your boat? No worries, it's a small
blemish (I'm sure it's not the last).

Did you know that the Sherriff doesn't like it when you create a wake in the
no wake zone? Oops; seriously, it was a definition glitch (a wake is not
defined by the presence or absence of white water - a wake is a wake is a
wake). I got off with a warning, but had to suffer a prolonged discussion
as I was used as training material.

Did you know that when you tie your boat up alongside the open water side of
the dock, and you tie it tight to the dock, that even with fenders, your
protective rubber trim will get knocked out of its track? In defense of my
boating buddy, he told me not to tie it tight to the dock. The problem was,
from a distance, it sounded like he told me to tie it tight to the dock.
Sigh. I did learn that those orange pfd's make great fenders.

Not last and not least, did you know that you should put the prop into
trailer mode the second you tie up to the launch dock? No damage on pulling
up the ramp, but plenty of embarrassment.

Now for the piece de resistance. A writer I'm not, but I'll try to convey
the scene for you boat ramp sadists. We pull up to the dock and squeeze in
behind a boat that was just launched. The boat in front is ready to go, but
the boss went to park his trailer and the rest of us are stuck (at least
those of us that aren't quite ready for the delicate task of driving the
boat onto the trailer) waiting for his boat to move out of the way. Well, I
had a great parking space so I was ready to back the trailer down as soon as
the just launched boat found it's owner so it could pull away and let us
move our boat forward. My wife, an impatient woman, god love her, decides
she isn't going to wait for the boat to move, unties our boat, jumps in the
water with the boat and walks it to the middle of the ramp. The first thing
I know about this is when I look back (remember, still waiting for an absent
owner to move his boat) and see my wife chest deep in water not even holding
a dock line as the boat begins to turn sideways. Yeah, this is where I
start yelling at her 'cause I'm an ass and don't know what else to do. Now
I have to back down (remember, I'm new to backing trailers) to the middle of
the ramp (sorry folks, I know I'm taking up two spaces, but .... To make
matters worse, we can't agree on whether the boat is on the trailer
correctly (I'm worried about is to far to one side or the other and hitting
the wheel well. Enough is enough and I pull the damn boat out of the water
and out of the way only to have my kids run up and tell me the boat ain't
right. Ah crap! It probably wasn't as bad as it seemed, but it was
cockeyed on the trailer. I didn't realize that lined up means nothing if
the blasted thing is still floating when you start yanking it out of the
water. It gets even better. For some crazy reason (it's 5pm on a Sunday
night), there's a line a block long waiting to launch (someone's got to
explain this to me). I figure I'm not going anywhere until I reload my
boat, but the next guy in line with the sea doos, says hell no get in line.
And so on. Anyway, we got the boat reloaded, correctly this time, but we're
not speaking to each other for awhile (at least not anything nice - I'm
dying from the embarrassment of a wife who won't do what I tell her to do
and a hundred witnesses to that and to me not knowing what the hell I'm
doing with the boat. Maybe you can picture this; maybe not. It was
actually the next trip where I figured out why the boat didn't stay where I
thought I had put it.

Hey, I'm sure there's more to follow, but I hope not!

Marty

Stanley Barthfarkle

ROTFLMAO. Sounds like my wife and I when we got our first boat. You'll get
better at it in no time.... Roller trailer or bunks? With rollers,
you're better off walking it on anyway, and you don't have to pull nearly so
far into the water. Just be sure the crank is locked AND you put the safety
chain on before you yank it out- saw some poor guy dump his $30,000 cruiser
on the ramp 'cuz he forgot to put the safety chain on. Wife wife was....
well, you get the picture.

Me and the wife had a helluva public yelling match the first time we ever
took the boat out and I tried to drive it onto the roller trailer....ooops.
Then backed into the steel ramp support with my stainless prop idling
backwards...ooops. (minor nick- no big deal)

Then there was the time we took a few friends out for a lake cruise and were
just about ready to leave the courtesy dock...."gee, boat's sittin' kinda
low, isn't it? ARRRGH! Forgot the F'n plug!" Ran over to jam my finger in
the drain hole from outside (I/O) , had someone turn bilge pump on (engine
running, water past the oil pan about 12 inches deep in the bilge) and get
me the drain plug and a wrench from the toolbox....working blind underwater
by feel to install the plug... Of course, now our Lab thinks it's time to
play fetch in the water with Dad, so here she comes licking me and jumping
out of the boat....Pumped the bilge for 15 minutes before it
emptied...(while we idled out of the no wake zone) Guests looking at me
warily for awhile...wife looking at me angrily for awhile.......

Then there was the time my 7 yr old niece, who is deathly afraid of big
water (bigger than a small pool) finally agreed to ride the big flat
2-person tube.... no adults volunteering to take her....ok, big sister (16)
can take you, just be sure to pull up on the front of the tube so it doesn't
submarine when I take off.....I take off...the tube submarines completely
underwater....she refuses to go near the tube again....

One April 1st weekend this year it was unseasonably warm here (got up to
about 79) so we took the boat out for an early shakedown cruise on the
lake...pulled into a cove for lunch...water is still about 50 degrees...2
mallards (a male and a female) fly in and land 20 feet from the
boat....Yellow Labrador Retriever stands at full attention...dog launches
herself out and starts swimming after them...female flies to the right, male
flies about 10 yards toward the main lake and lands...dog starts to catch
him...he flies about 10 more yards and lands... dog isn't listening to
anyone except the duck... dog starts to catch him, etc, etc, about 10 times
until the duck leads the dog out into the main lake about 1/4 mi away and
around the bend and out of sight... wife is now insisting that I 'DO
SOMETHING'...I'm laughing..."she'll come back"...she doesnt come back for a
couple of minutes, so we pull anchor and idle out...here comes the dog
swimming back (no duck, but she doesn't look any fatter) ...makes a beeline
for the muddier shore...runs back to where we were...we turn around and go
back...the dog finds a large dead sunfish floating at the
shoreline...crunches him down in 3 or 4 chomps- head, bones, tail and all...
hops back up onto the swim platform and into the boat....shakes cold fishy
water everywhere.

Ever throw the anchor out and realize that you didn't tie the line off until
you see the end of it follow the anchor to the bottom of the 25 foot lake? I
have... Wife saw me do that, too. Ever jump in with your prescription
sunglasses on and realize that they don't float just as they sink and
disappear from view? Yep, she saw that one as well.... Ever get caught
almost hitting a "no wake" bouy because you were checking out hot chick in
the red bikini on the houseboat nearby? ...Nahhh, she didn't see that one-
she was busy checking out bikini girl's husband...

and so on....

Boats love water. Boats hate solid stuff.

"Genius? Not!" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

William Andersen

We've all had bad days and embarrassing experiences at the launch ramp. You
can't really apologize for another's actions and it never makes sense to
raise your voice at your wife!
I learned that if I leave about the top 3" of my trailer tires showing above
the surface of the water, my boat will get within 2"-6" of the winch stop
and center itself on the bunks. I can give it a little power, but usually
use the winch for those last couple of inches.

"Genius? Not!" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Mr Wizzard

"Genius? Not!" wrote in message
. ..

Dude! - I can *so* relate!! I got a new Bayliner 175 Capri, and
struggled with almost all of the items you mentined. However, I
had the help of a experienced boater with me for the first few
outings, but I'm on my own now, so yeah, I can relate fully!
(and your piece is written pretty cool too!)

So that covers a lot of "logistics", but how about your actual
outting itself? Waves, dodging people, other boats etc?
So have you hit a wave yet and come down and landed so
hard that it knocked you senseless? I recently did this, and
don't know if I caused any damage, or if this is semi-normal,
or just how much of a slam landing a boat like this can take.

That whole backing up of the trailer *sucks*, and thats all
there is to it. (there is no sugar coating it). Might have to
do with the truck, and trailer design, but all I know is that
my 1996 F-150 4x4 w/ short box makes backing my boat
in a straight line very difficult (short wheel base on F-150
small box). Anyways, I found what helps is to take the
boat to the local school (school's out), and keep practicing
until you either go mad, puke, go silly, the tranny drops out,
or you get so fustrated that you back the thing thru the fence,
and on to the 4-lane highway, and a Mach truck takes it out
(in which case its game over). Being new to it, I make it a
point to go to the school before every outing, and again
on the way home from the outing before I get back home
so that I don't embarass myself in front of the neighbors.
Even then, I still sometimes handing up putting the thing
on the neighbors lawn. (but I'm getting better) The
challange for ME is that fricking gas meter upside the
house. I got 1 foot (max) between house/gas meter, and
the edge of the gravel RV pad and the neighbor's lawn
(and this really sharp concrete scallops lawn edging).
Taking out that gas meter really *WOULD* be "game over"...

[...]

Genius? Not!

"Stanley Barthfarkle" wrote in message
. ..
ROTFLMAO. Sounds like my wife and I when we got our first boat. You'll get
better at it in no time.... Roller trailer or bunks? With rollers,
you're better off walking it on anyway, and you don't have to pull nearly
so far into the water. Just be sure the crank is locked AND you put the
safety chain on before you yank it out- saw some poor guy dump his $30,000
cruiser on the ramp 'cuz he forgot to put the safety chain on. Wife wife
was.... well, you get the picture.

Bunks. Safety chain? What safety chain? Just kidding.

Me and the wife had a helluva public yelling match the first time we ever
took the boat out and I tried to drive it onto the roller
trailer....ooops. Then backed into the steel ramp support with my
stainless prop idling backwards...ooops. (minor nick- no big deal)

That musta hurt; the ego.

Hey, I love the dimension the dog adds to your boating!

Thanks for the shared ancecdotes.

Marty

Genius? Not!

"William Andersen" wrote in message
We've all had bad days and embarrassing experiences at the launch ramp.
You can't really apologize for another's actions and it never makes sense
to raise your voice at your wife!

Boy you got that right.

I learned that if I leave about the top 3" of my trailer tires showing
above the surface of the water, my boat will get within 2"-6" of the winch
stop and center itself on the bunks. I can give it a little power, but
usually use the winch for those last couple of inches.

Yeah, I need more practice and I need to pay attention to some details.
Someday I want to be able to launch and unlaunch this boat by myself.

Genius? Not!

"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message

"Genius? Not!" wrote in message
. ..

Dude! - I can *so* relate!! I got a new Bayliner 175 Capri, and
struggled with almost all of the items you mentined. However, I
had the help of a experienced boater with me for the first few
outings, but I'm on my own now, so yeah, I can relate fully!
(and your piece is written pretty cool too!)

Thanks for understanding.

So that covers a lot of "logistics", but how about your actual
outting itself? Waves, dodging people, other boats etc?
So have you hit a wave yet and come down and landed so
hard that it knocked you senseless? I recently did this, and
don't know if I caused any damage, or if this is semi-normal,
or just how much of a slam landing a boat like this can take.

I've got a couple of lakes I can go to, and have, so I'm starting to develop
a preference. The nearby lake is too crowded after lunch and I feel like
I'm mostly just praying I avoid a collision. The 2 hour drive gets me to a
warm big lake with no crowds, but it's two hours north.
That slamming does worry me.

That whole backing up of the trailer *sucks*, and thats all
there is to it. (there is no sugar coating it). Might have to
do with the truck, and trailer design, but all I know is that
my 1996 F-150 4x4 w/ short box makes backing my boat
in a straight line very difficult (short wheel base on F-150

I've got the 5.5 foot box, so that might explain why its a little squirrely
when I'm backing. I'm getting better at the backing. The trick for me was
to finally give in and use the bottom of the steering wheel to direct the
trailer.

Enjoy!

FishWisher

Oh yes! This adventure from a few years ago when I owned a 25' Bayliner and
kept it on a lift:

3-28-99

Yesterday afternoon upon arriving at the dock from fishing on the Sacramento
River, I was just finishing up the chores of docking and raising the boat on
it's boat lift. I do these chores after every cruise, there's nothing to
it!

A boat lift is a fine device when operated properly. It acts much like a
submarine. Pump out the air by filling the tanks with water through valves
and it submerses down on guides so that the boat may be guided in above it.
You then pump out the water with air and the boat lift raises, bringing the
boat high and dry out of the water....just like the picture shows!

My boat happens to weigh in at about 6,000 lbs or so. In the process of
lifting the boat out of the water, the bow comes up first, probably at about
35 degrees, and the dock lines at each side of the boat hold it in place on
the bunk while on such an angle. The stern is then raised until it reaches
the same elevation as the bow.

I discovered today that it takes BOTH lines to hold this boat in place while
on the steep angle!

Because the delta canvas was still in place around the cockpit (back) of the
boat, I placed the line under the canvas to attach to the cleat, but somehow
forgot the last part....the "attach" part.

Of course, by this time the outdrive is raised, the cabin door is locked and
my briefcase, cell phone, etc. are setting on the dock waiting to go home.
Upon reaching the 35 degree angle, with only a single dock line in place,
the four year old tired, frayed dock line snapped in two with a loud SNAP
followed by another POP as the shore power cord parted company with the dock
plug!

Now then, things move pretty fast at a time like this. The boat began a
sudden, unannounced launch at 35 degrees into the river! At this point, one
must gather his senses pretty quickly and decide among these options:

A) WHAT THE HELL!!

B) WHAT THE HELL!!

C) Let the dang thing go, I'll swim in after it....

D) This boat ain't stopping no matter what I do and I damn sure better get
on as she slips gracefully down the ways!!!

I chose D. Within two or three seconds of "SNAP!...POP!" I was aboard a
moving boat with........ 1) The engine off, 2) the outdrive up, 3) the cabin
door locked, 4)no telephone to call for help, and 5) a thoroughly confused
skipper now in need of fresh underwear! Also, the cockpit was surrounded by
canvas, the bow hatch was locked tight and so were the windows.

Fortunately, no one was near the dock to witness this fine boat handling
moment! (I Hope.)

It was truly amazing how quickly one can unbutton a section of canvas at a
time like this! I unlocked the door quicker than humanly possible, then
lowered the outdrive and started the engine so fast that the engine computer
still hasn't caught up!

After all was said and done, nothing was damaged but the dock line and the
shore power cord receptacle. My pride was not damaged, of course, because I
had just come home from a fishing trip, utterly skunked, and with no pride
left!

-Dale Gillespie 3-28-99

--
Dale Gillespie

My Homepage: www.FishWisher.com
My RV Site: http://groups.msn.com/CoachpotatosRV..._whatsnew.msnw
"Genius? Not!" wrote in message
. ..

William Andersen

Using the bottom of the steering wheel while backing is the key! Hold the
bottom of the steering wheel and move it in the direction you want the boat
to go. Don't try to figure out if the front wheels point here, the back
wheels point there, so the trailer will go that direction.
The second thing you'll learn is that a steady speed helps when backing: too
slow and it takes forever to see any change in direction, too fast and
you'll be zig zagging.

"Genius? Not!" wrote in message
. ..

"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message