Default 1961? Johnson 90 HP Engine

I am looking for specs for a Johnson 90 HP 4 cylinder engine. I was
told when I bought the boat last week it was a 1961 engine, but
everywhere I've looked show that Johnson didn't put a 90 HP out until
1964. Could this be right? I'm new to boating, not new to engine work.

Chris

I looked under the engine hood, the date Feb 2, 1964 was stamped on the
foam. If it's any help, there is a model name..Meteor....if that means
anything. it's either a 64 or 65.
I have to replace the coil, I think that's what goes into the
distributor. It's craced all over the place. I think this is the reason
it won't fire. Compression is good.
chris

Ron Knapik wrote:
Is there a model number on the outboard?

Ron

"ILMTDBear" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am looking for specs for a Johnson 90 HP 4 cylinder engine. I was
told when I bought the boat last week it was a 1961 engine, but
everywhere I've looked show that Johnson didn't put a 90 HP out until
1964. Could this be right? I'm new to boating, not new to engine work.

Chris

On the stern bracket of the motor, the part that attaches to the boat, there
will be a model and serial number tag. See if you can get the model number.

Ron

oups.com...

Ron Knapik wrote:
Is there a model number on the outboard?

Ron

"ILMTDBear" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am looking for specs for a Johnson 90 HP 4 cylinder engine. I was
told when I bought the boat last week it was a 1961 engine, but
everywhere I've looked show that Johnson didn't put a 90 HP out until
1964. Could this be right? I'm new to boating, not new to engine work.

Chris

Default was.. 1961? Johnson 90 HP Engine...Now: ideas on how to get running?

ok, Johnson Engine Model 4ML-10R.

I took the ignition coil off and to the auto parts store. They couldn't
find an exact match for it, but I got a 12 volt coil for a VW Beetle.
The pos. and neg. posts are on the same end as the wire connection port
that goes out to the distributor. So I just reversed the direction it
pointed so the power wires can connect without being strained.

I took the ignition wire from the coil to the distributor off. Found
the end leading into the distributor did not have the connector.
Between the cracked coil casing and bad lead wire I think I might have
that problem solved.

There's a box on the rear starboard where the batter leads come out of.
I think it's the voltage regulator, but cannot be sure. I had to
replace a missing screw that held a wire to one of the posts.

The connections look pretty good. When I bought the boat (250.00) I was
told the Engine was rebuilt in 2000. The boat was registered through
2001. Sat since.

While we're at it, after cleaning it out, the flooring at the stern, in
front of the gas tank. has a small hole about 3 inches and is soft to
the touch. I think the wood under the flooring is rooted out. I am
thinking that I should cut out hte fiberglass flooring, replace the
flooring and re-glass over it.

I know, a lot to think about. I welcome any and all comments and
suggestions.

Chris