BoatBanter.com

-   -   I need a sea kayak paddle (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/73135-i-need-sea-kayak-paddle.html)

Bill Tuthill August 23rd 06 08:46 PM

I need a sea kayak paddle

Andrew wrote:

You use a 220 cm paddle for whitewater kayaking? Most people use much
shorter paddles, if I'm not mistaken. I have a 198 cm paddle for WW.

Inflatable kayaking. Here I am at Carson Falls on the Kern. Unless
you've run this in your hardshell, please don't call my boat a ducky!

http://cacreeks.com/carsonFalls.jpg

That is the aforementioned Carlisle RS Magic 220cm, by the way.
I prefer the Werner Powerhouse and Lightning Freeride because they
(magically) don't drip down the shaft on my hands, but for rock-bashing
whitewater voyages, a $70 paddle is appealing.

Courtney August 23rd 06 09:17 PM

I need a sea kayak paddle

I remember when I started kayaking whitewater I paddled with a 206cm, 90
degree paddle and I'm 5'6". That was the norm then but that was also a long
time ago. When I got big into playboating my paddles got shorter and
shorter and my feather went down. I now paddle with a 191cm, 30 degree.
For me the shorter the better but I can understand others liking the longer
paddles too. It's funny though to see someone that's tall paddling with a
really short paddle. Usually their hands are right at the blade. I don't
see how they do it.

Courtney

Andrew, Bill paddles inflatables, which make a longer paddle not such a
bad idea. I'm too old-school and too tall (6'8"/201.5cm) to bother
trying out a shorter paddle. Right now I'm using a 206cm, and I can
cartwheel quite well with it without the length feeling like it gets in
my way.

Wilko

John Fereira August 23rd 06 10:00 PM

I need a sea kayak paddle

Bill Tuthill wrote in :

jughead wrote:

So far I have used a NRS PT paddle, Aqua-Bound paddle (I think Manta).
I'm looking to get either a aluminum shaft Aqua-bound Manta Ray, or a
Werner Skagit paddle. I liked the Mantra Ray. Never tried a Werner but
lots of people swear by them. I definitly want to get something with a
Asymmetrical blade. I'm 6-3 240 pounds.

Werner paddles are great! I own one and used to own several more
until friends lost them. Lightning paddles are also worth investigating:
http://paddles.com is their website. More color choices than Werner.

I've had a Lightning Std. touring paddled for about 8 years and love it. I
bought used (along with a Werner Camano) for $200 and definately got my
money worth out it. I sold the Camano several years ago and since I just
sold my CLC Northbay I just ordered a Werner Cyprus.

However I see that Cascade Outfitters 800-223-7238 is now selling
the Carlisle Simply Magic paddle, made in New Zealand, for under $70.
You can choose 220, 230, and 240 cm length. I have one of these
(I use it for whitewater kayaking) and it is a very good paddle,
even for a price higher than that. Fiberglass shaft, plastic blade.

I've heard good things about the Carlisle Simply Magic paddle before and
that it's one of the best paddles out there for under $100. Some might
consider it the only paddle worth buying for under $100.

John Fereira August 23rd 06 10:41 PM

I need a sea kayak paddle

"jughead" wrote in
oups.com:

Thanks for the tip on the Carlisle paddle.
Courtney I have a Wilderness Systems Tsunami 145 which is around 24.5
inches wide.
I use the kayak for exercise and planning on some ocean trips and
camping trips.
I think I am steering to a more low angle paddle.
I'm also looking at the Aqua-Bound EagleRay or StingRay which is a
narrower blade but longer.
The guy at REI said I should get a 240.
The eagle and sting ray Aqua
Bound have long blades so maybe a 230? I could always return it if it
doesn't work out. That is what is good about REI.

Did you get any indication regarding whether the guy at REI has actually
ever paddled a kayak? While outdoor retail chain stores might have good
return policies when buying paddling gear you're not necessarily going to be
talking to someone that has spent much time paddling, but more likely
someone that has gone through their corporate "how to sell paddling
equipment" training. At a dedicated paddling shop you'll more likely deal
with someone that is first, a paddler, and second and owner or employee at
the shop. You'll likely find the same return policies, be able to demo
different paddles *before* buying them (some may charge a rental fee that
will be deducted from the purchase price), and may even have *used* paddles
for sale.

Makes sense to get a
paddle with pure fiber glass blades. I hear the Cameno is good but
pretty expensive.

It's not really that expensive when compared to other paddles with
fiberglass shafts and blades. If you just look at the quality of
construction it should be fairly obvious why Werner is a popular choice.

If I get a paddle with a more low angle style (Longer but narrower
blade) will I still be able to get a good exceleration out of it to go
against currents and stuff?

Sure. You likely wouldn't be able to tell much of a difference. As you
gain more experience and a more efficient stroke the differences will become
moe apparent.

Michael Daly August 23rd 06 10:53 PM

I need a sea kayak paddle

Andrew wrote:

The only thing I've seen advertised before is the length of the entire
paddle. However, I saw someone (maybe on here?) say that they had an
xxx 145. It would make sense that the shaft length is 145 cm.

Lendal is one of the few companies that emphasizes determining paddle size by
considering shaft size separately. They sell shafts by length and stiffness and
then add the blades. However, retailers usually take the Lendal paddles and add
a sticker stating overall length.

It really makes no sense to talk about overall length unless you are comparing
two paddles with the same blade length. If you compare a long-bladed paddle to
a short-bladed paddle, having the same overall length means you're comparing
apples and oranges.

Mike

Courtney August 24th 06 04:23 PM

I need a sea kayak paddle

Good point Mike. If he decided to get a low angle paddle then it'll likely
be on the longer side. If it's high angle then shorter would be better.

Courtney

jughead August 28th 06 09:13 PM

I need a sea kayak paddle

One of my local shops rents out demo paddles so I tried a Werner Cameno
with the bent saft. 220cm. Nice paddle but on the short side for me.
Ended up getting a Aqua-bound Eagle Ray full carbon. Trying it out
today.

John Fereira August 28th 06 10:12 PM

I need a sea kayak paddle

"jughead" wrote in
oups.com:

One of my local shops rents out demo paddles so I tried a Werner Cameno
with the bent saft. 220cm. Nice paddle but on the short side for me.
Ended up getting a Aqua-bound Eagle Ray full carbon. Trying it out
today.

That looks like a nice paddle. The blades looks very much like a Camano.
What did you think of the bent shaft. I just ordered a Werner Cyprus
(carbon fiber, foam core medium sized high angle blade) with a straight
shaft from our local shop (owned by a very good friend of mine). Ever since
Werner came out with their natural bent shaft a couple of years ago that's
about all he stocks in the carbon fiber paddles. I've paddled with most of
the different models with a bent shaft and just don't care for them much.

jughead August 30th 06 07:05 AM

I need a sea kayak paddle

I definitly liked the straight shaft alot better. I'm glad I got the
Aqua-bound Eagle Ray. Very light and I could still get very good power
out of it. Glad I didn't skimp on a cheap paddle.

Mike

John Fereira wrote:
"jughead" wrote in
oups.com:

John Fereira August 30th 06 12:14 PM

I need a sea kayak paddle

"jughead" wrote in
ups.com:

I definitly liked the straight shaft alot better. I'm glad I got the
Aqua-bound Eagle Ray. Very light and I could still get very good power
out of it. Glad I didn't skimp on a cheap paddle.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone complain choosing a better, more
expensive paddle than a cheap one. Over the years that this group has been
"in business" there have been lots of people coming here asking for
reccommendations on a paddle and the advice has always been not to scrimp on
buying a paddle and there is a good reason for that.

That said, I don't believe that a $400 super light carbon fiber paddle is
for everyone. While many of the experience paddlers here would hardly blink
about spending that kind of money on equipment for their passion, that's a
significant commitment for someone just entering the sport and still not
sure how into the sport they're going to get.

My Werner Cyprus arrived yesterday and I can't wait to get out and try it.
I paddled for nearly 10 years with a fiberglass paddle and it has served me
very well. It was really about time I splurged on a top-of-the-line paddle.