Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
K. Smith

Default Johnson 70 outboard. Smoke at idle

Joe wrote:

It "used" to be that way but they found too many dead motors even by

OMC
standards:-) They changed it to a constant 50 to 60 to 1 ages ago &

changed the
name of course being OMC & all. It's still the same defective system it

always
was.

Sorry K, but a 1990 VRO works between 150 to 1, and 50 to 1 as I stated.

Gee Joe no need to get tense over it. If that motor has the original pump
I guess it is a variable, but that only confirms it absolutely needs replacing
(should have been relpaced by OMC in a proper recall years ago). For years now
OMC would ONLY sell a replacement pump that is not "variable" because the old
variable delivery pumps did not deliver enough oil.

So again if "your" OMC engine of any vintage, doesn't consume oil at a
rate of about 50 or at worst 60 to 1 then by all means waste heaps of money &
get a "new" pump, then you'll find it does deliver oil at that rate, however a
better solution as agreed by all is to just disconnect the VRO & put oil in
the fuel tank(s).

Again if your OMC doesn't consume oil at at least the rate of 50 to 1 then
have the VRO disconnected & mix tcw3 in the tank at that rate.

Wrong.

As you wish Joe. Your opinion is as valid as mine & you have the same
rights as I do to put it, the difference is I at least give the reasons why I
hold mine.

55 johnson for parts Bob General 1 July 11th 03 02:33 PM
Stiff steering on Johnson 15hp Lloyd Sumpter General 1 July 11th 03 12:22 AM
Idle Mixture on OMC inboard w/ Rochester 2bbl carb noah General 0 July 10th 03 01:32 AM