K. Smith

Default Johnson 70 outboard. Smoke at idle

Billgran wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
It "used" to be that way but they found too many dead motors even by

OMC
standards:-) They changed it to a constant 50 to 60 to 1 ages ago &

changed the
name of course being OMC & all. It's still the same defective system it

always
was.

Sorry K, but a 1990 VRO works between 150 to 1, and 50 to 1 as I stated.

Again if your OMC doesn't consume oil at at least the rate of 50 to 1

then
have the VRO disconnected & mix tcw3 in the tank at that rate.

The 1990 VRO ran a wide variable ratio, just as Joe stated. There was no
recall on the pump or any of the pumps. The original version, 19 years ago,
did not have a NO OIL alarm system and the factory offered a deal to upgrade
an original pump to an alarm equippped pump, called VRO 2..

In '92, the pump parts were changed to run a richer idle to give more rust
protection to the motor's internals, high speed mixture stayed the same
50:1. It was called the OMS pump for oil metering system and could be
identified by the blue-grey outlet fitting, The OMS still varied the mixture
from 75:1 at idle to 50:1 at high speeds. In average use an owner would see
about a 60:1 ratio, depending on the amount of time at different speeds.

Thanks Bill so it's not been possible to buy a variable pump even as a
replacement part?? because the original were defective in their design??
& even OMC say all 2 strokes need 50 or 60 to 1 to ensure a reasonable service
life??? Yes??

It
is used today on 2004 motors and is designed to be rebuildable, instead of
replaced as a complete assembly.

Almost 20 years later it is still in production and working OK,

I guess your view is, it works "OK"?? may I say it's not "OK" but a very
bad design which over time lets less & less oil into the mix, such that the
alarm system can't detect it. You & I have had this argument over many years &
we shouldn't repeat, save I need to keep warning people about VRO & I guess you
need to keep reassuring them, that's fine we disagree.

The only
maintenance needed is the same as your boat's fuel system, make sure hoses
and clamps are OK and that water does not get into the tank.

The hysteria over VRO is from the uneducated "mechanics" that do not know or
understand the system, or from folks who "think" they know something because
they heard it from their neighbor's best friend's cousin's brother-in-law.

The difference is if you check the archives you'll find many times we've
described in detail exactly why & how VRO fails & why & how the alarm doesn't
work, on no occasion have the OMC dealer spruiker brigade ever dealt with it &
they won't because they can't.

You need to add this as you always do as if you have any credibility
left!!! & again I suppose I should reluctantly say that the OMC trained
mechanics are not even basic mechanics they usually have no qualifications nor
understandings other than those fed to them by OMC at market spruik training
courses. They have no understanding of how engines in general work much less
the very basic OMC 2 strokes & this is how they managed to keep the VRO
deception going so long & then sell a few known defective Fichts to
unsuspecting consumers, they're aggressive marketers nothing more.

The main thing to keep in mind about these people is that they helped rip
thousands of consumers off & managed to play a pivotal part in the biggest
bankruptcy ever seen in recreational boating, during the biggest recreational
spending boom in history, not a chpt 11 restructure but a flat out windup!!

Even today they still claim that VRO or it's renamed descendants are fine &
yes beyond belief even still keep a straight face as they spruik the renamed
Ficht for Bombardier!!! Try to remember Bill we were right about Ficht & you
were wrong, it cost many boaters their recreational happiness, retirees US$1.3
billion that's Billion Bill & got 7000 people chucked out of work, good work
you blokes keep it up.

Again if "your" OMC 2 stroke doesn't actually consume oil at a rate or 50
to 60 to 1 then disconnect the VRO & put tcw3 in the fuel tank, because one day
VRO will without any warning whatsoever wreck your engine.

Bill Grannis
service manager