posted to rec.boats.paddle

Default Creepy river rafting trip: HELP - need input

I'm writing about a river rafting trip, that turns into a nightmare.

Anybody know of any river rafting adventures, rivers, that seems like
it could end up being a horror ride?

River might have:
-beautiful scenes, then have abandoned buildings or towns next to the
shore at certain points
- the people running it might just be a little behind the times, or
backwards as far as blending into society?
- the people or who run the trip, might seems a little untrustworthy?

Looking for any Rivers, that would have rafting on it, but maybe in the
carolinas or appalachian mountains? Otherwise, ANYWHERE in the USA.

Any comments or resources or thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks.
GC

posted to rec.boats.paddle

wrote:
I'm writing about a river rafting trip, that turns into a nightmare.

Anybody know of any river rafting adventures, rivers, that seems like
it could end up being a horror ride?

River might have:
-beautiful scenes, then have abandoned buildings or towns next to the
shore at certain points
- the people running it might just be a little behind the times, or
backwards as far as blending into society?
- the people or who run the trip, might seems a little untrustworthy?

Looking for any Rivers, that would have rafting on it, but maybe in the
carolinas or appalachian mountains? Otherwise, ANYWHERE in the USA.

You're living in the past. Speaking as a lifetime city-dweller who
spends evey possible weekend and vacation in the Appalachians or the
Rockies:

The people in the Appalachian Mountains are as fine and decent as the
people anywhere on Earth. They have access to every TV Channel, every
NPR program, and every publication (up to and including such as the New
York Times and The Economist).

The mountain people who want to be are just as informed as civilians
living in Washington or New York, and the people who don't read in
Washington and New York are just as uninformed as non-readers in the
mountains.

-Richard, His Kanubic Travesty
Richard Hopley Winston-Salem, NC, USA
.. rhopley[at]earthlink[dot]net
.. Nothing really matters except Boats, Sex, and Rock'n'Roll
.. rhopley[at]wfubmc[dot]edu
.. OK, OK; computer programming for scientific research also matters

posted to rec.boats.paddle

Michael Daly wrote:
wrote:

I knew this was a waste of time...people get so offended and not stop
and actually realize what someones intent it.

Maybe we're not infantile enough to think that a river can be "creepy". I've
been on a lot of rivers, but all of them (once away from industrial or
residential disasters) are beautiful.

Maybe you can write about the scary things under your bed.

Mike

Come on group troops, lets give the poster a break. We get a lot of
criticism in this group about being unfriendly. Lets not try to earn
that reputation.
-----
As for scary physical rivers, well, there are plenty of places that can
fit that description. To the unskilled and uninitiated, any large
rapid can meet that requirement. That is why we portage some rapids
and walk around others while people are comfortable running them. Part
of it is the rapid and the river itself. The rest is how we feel and
what *we* to the river bring with us.

When it gets dark and I am no where near my takeout, I can start seeing
a lot of things that could spook me out if I let them. At 55+, I know
better. But it is not hard to see how superstitions get their start.
It does not take much hanging moss or many oddly shaped trees to get
ones imagination working.

My own personal fear relates to dark water. I must have had a dream or
two about it in the past that made a deep impression in my sub concious
because I can occaisonally find myself thinking about "something"
rising suddenly from the depths, upsetting my boat and taking me down
to the depths forever.

For story developement, a river during Spring Flood is great setting.
High fast water is always exciting. And all the dynamics change.
Known rapids disappear, new rapids form, new channels form. Plenty of
complicating factors - entire trees, piles of slash, zero clearance
under bridges, etc. So even a known river can assume an entirely new
personality when at flood.

There are some historic disasters you can check out as well:
1) The 1983 high water rescue trip in the Grand Canyon.
2) The rafting deaths on the Illinois River in Oregon.
3) The "White Mile" story.
4) Todd Balf's "The Last River: The Tragic Race for Shangri-la"

Then there is the American Canoe Association's "River Safety Anthology"
by Charlie Walbridge. These are reviews of past incidents and offer a
detailed analysis of what went wrong and why.

Another resource is "Deep Survival - Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why" by
Laurence Gonzales. This is less about about rivers and more about the
sequence of events that lead to survival situations.

If you review these resources, I think you can get some background on
what makes a river "scary". And why every river has elements in it
that keeps our attention focused. Misjudgement on any water can lead
to injury and death.

Blakely
---
Blakely LaCroix
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

"The best adventure is yet to come"

posted to rec.boats.paddle

Blakely,

THanks a million for taking the time out. I do appreciate it. Great
info as well as the reminder of the psychological aspect of "what's in
the water?" and it's only 3-5 feet deep. Thanks for the pointers of
historic diasters.

THanks again and best of luck out there.

GC
Railtramp wrote:
Michael Daly wrote:
wrote:

[...]

posted to rec.boats.paddle

On 8 Aug 2006 16:43:05 -0700, "
wrote:

Blakely,

THanks a million for taking the time out. I do appreciate it. Great
info as well as the reminder of the psychological aspect of "what's in
the water?" and it's only 3-5 feet deep. Thanks for the pointers of
historic diasters.

THanks again and best of luck out there.

Only 3 - 5 feet deep? Yes, lots and lots of nasty stuff can be under
that little water. Bodies from some time ago, whether accidentally
there or intentionally. Large scary fish. Large live people with
scuba gear. Killer tree remnants. Otters can stay under for long
amounts of time and then emerge next to or onto your boat / raft. Long
claws that can rip open clams or your body with ease. Big sharp
teeth. Insane eagles or ospreys could be a danger. Sane ones if
you're too near their nests with eggs or young.

You have to hear a nesting group of giant blue herons get hysterical
over a raccoon in the previously still night and you'll be unwilling
to sleep for hours, particularly if you don't know what that sound is.

What about the local monster that no one talks much about? Does it
live in a cave near the river? What is it really? Is that what
happens to people who disappear or come off the river half crazed and
unwilling to boat again? Is it a weird human? Something else? What
are the AmerInd legends of the place?
--

r.bc: vixen
Speaker to squirrels, willow watcher, etc..

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
posted to rec.boats.paddle

Cyli wrote:
On 8 Aug 2006 16:43:05 -0700, "
wrote:

[...]

There is a little explored canyon east of Boulder Colorado, where the
water does not run too deep, but the local residents are absolutely
hostile! I have not heard of anyone who successfully and safely
navigated their way down this creek without being shot at, and if
caught, hung out to dry. Numerous kayakers have just plain disappeared,
never to be heard from again.

This is trully wild country, with lots of wild life and beautiful
scenery. It would be a great back drop for a movie if you could get
the local residence to sign a peace treaty, at least for the duration
of filming! HYY