BoatBanter.com

-   -   Diaster in waiting.... (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/71861-re-diaster-waiting.html)

JoeSpareBedroom July 21st 06 10:44 PM

Diaster in waiting....

"ACP" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"ACP" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"ACP" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 11:39:59 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

So, a bunch of
suits are playing games and sending a ripple effect throughout the
economy.

Time for the law to change.

Ahhhh yes, government price controls. Great idea, have you ever
seen
it in action? You wouldn't be able to buy oil at any price because
everyone would be on allocation, and another giant federal
bureauacracy would spring up to (mis)manage the whole mess.

If you think commodities are such an easy get-rich-quick scheme, why
not put on your own "suit" and throw some money in the ring. A
quick
call or two to your broker and you can be a master of the universe
also.

I'm not talking about price controls. I'm talking about eliminating
the trading of one particular commodity for "sport", by people who
are in no way connected to the business. You know as well as I do
that the majority of the price jumps have been "on concerns about"
things in places like Iraq which, in your wildest dreams, could not
have materially affected oil production in any way, shape or form.
The concept is as stupid as private investors selling all their
mutual funds because Home Depot reports bad earnings for the last
quarter.

Ah, but if problems in Iraq expand to other oil producing countries in
the region, there could be a "real" problem in the oil supply
pipeline.

That's "if". In the past, they have not. Here's a question: What are
your 3 favorite main courses for dinner?

The past does not always indicate the future.

"If" Bush 43 hadn't been elected. "If" Gore HAD been elected. "If
Kerry HAD been elected.

Chicken, Fish, and Pizza....

Chicken - perfect! Hypothetical headline on the radio news as you're
driving home tonight:

"The price of chicken jumped 4% today. Our reporter covering the Chicago
Board of Exchange explained that speculators are worried about new
reports indicating bird flu was found for the first time in Greenland"

This continues, and a year from now, whole Perdue roasting chickens are
selling for $32.99 per pound, with no end in sight.

See...certain industries and professions think they're entitled to
special treatment. Doctors don't like it when patients are called
customers. Oil companies think they're special and should be insulated
more than other businesses from the vagaries of raw material costs.

I don't buy Perdue, the yellow color turns me off 80.

All chicken would follow the pattern of price increases, just as all the oil
companies do.

basskisser July 21st 06 10:51 PM

Diaster in waiting....

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 17:42:58 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

You know what would help? A president who, without a script, could provide
this kind of information and offer a certain level of confidence and
understanding to the public. Someday.....

Thanks (I think). For what it's worth I have no plans to seek higher
office, life on my flybridge is just fine. :-)

It's not secret information, but did you catch any of Bush's accidental
on-mike remarks at the G8 summit? Not only am I sure he could not explain
this information, but I'm 100% positive he cannot even see a reason why he
should try.

And, he's been on video rubbing Germany's chancellor''s neck. Wonder if
all of the people who think Clinton was evil for messing with women
will think the same of GWB?

JoeSpareBedroom July 21st 06 10:55 PM

Diaster in waiting....

"basskisser" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:

You know what would help? A president who, without a script, could
provide
this kind of information and offer a certain level of confidence and
understanding to the public. Someday.....

Thanks (I think). For what it's worth I have no plans to seek higher
office, life on my flybridge is just fine. :-)

It's not secret information, but did you catch any of Bush's accidental
on-mike remarks at the G8 summit? Not only am I sure he could not explain
this information, but I'm 100% positive he cannot even see a reason why
he
should try.

And, he's been on video rubbing Germany's chancellor''s neck. Wonder if
all of the people who think Clinton was evil for messing with women
will think the same of GWB?

Nah....his flock is too stupid to see the difference between the two
situations.

JoeSpareBedroom July 22nd 06 01:41 AM

Diaster in waiting....

wrote in message
ups.com...
is the pot really worth stiring, guys?

I'm not stirring. I'm throwing in large stones from 20 feet up. I'll keep
doing it until I hear that members of the flock have begun hanging
themselves from their garage rafters, having realized their shame.

JohnH July 22nd 06 01:46 AM

Diaster in waiting....

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 00:41:55 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
is the pot really worth stiring, guys?

I'm not stirring. I'm throwing in large stones from 20 feet up. I'll keep
doing it until I hear that members of the flock have begun hanging
themselves from their garage rafters, having realized their shame.

It's a shame, Doug, that you don't throw your rocks in a NG that would
appreciate them.
***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

John

JoeSpareBedroom July 22nd 06 01:49 AM

Diaster in waiting....

"JohnH" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 00:41:55 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
is the pot really worth stiring, guys?

I'm not stirring. I'm throwing in large stones from 20 feet up. I'll keep
doing it until I hear that members of the flock have begun hanging
themselves from their garage rafters, having realized their shame.

It's a shame, Doug, that you don't throw your rocks in a NG that would
appreciate them.

John

I appreciate them. Why waste rounds on an enemy you are NOT familiar with?

[email protected] July 22nd 06 02:36 AM

Diaster in waiting....

Doug. why don't youpost this over in alt.guitar.bass
I've answered your psot over there.

I'm sure other bass players would dig your political ferver.......

BTW, I'm not a member of "the flock" and I will not be hanging myself
anytime soon

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
ups.com...

JoeSpareBedroom July 22nd 06 02:48 AM

Diaster in waiting....

wrote in message
oups.com...
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
is the pot really worth stiring, guys?

I'm not stirring. I'm throwing in large stones from 20 feet up. I'll keep
doing it until I hear that members of the flock have begun hanging
themselves from their garage rafters, having realized their shame.

Doug. why don't youpost this over in alt.guitar.bass
I've answered your psot over there.

I'm sure other bass players would dig your political ferver.......

BTW, I'm not a member of "the flock" and I will not be hanging myself
anytime soon

You're far from being a member of the flock. Take that as a compliment.

Bert Robbins July 22nd 06 03:11 AM

Diaster in waiting....

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 11:57:08 -0400, "ACP"
wrote:

"If" Bush 43 hadn't been elected. "If" Gore HAD been elected. "If Kerry
HAD been elected.

I doubt much would have been different. We seem to forget there was a
war going on in Iraq for the last year of 41s administration and the
entire 8 years of the Clinton administration. We could/should have got
out of there in 1991 instead of bombing them every day. The land war
was just the next loigical step if we didn't. After 9-11 "death from
the sky" was not an option.

Perhaps if we'd successfully gone after the country that sponsored those
9/11 animals, the world would've applauded. Even NOYB would've loved it.

Patience Doug, patience.