Default A question on thermostats

My Seloc repair manual for my 1997 Volvo Penta 4.3L with and SX outdrive
says the engine takes a 160F thermostat. That is what I installed in
spring.

The mechanic who worked on my boat after the overheating incident says it
takes a 140F thermostat and that is what he installed.

Does anyone know the correct thermostat temperature rating for this engine?

Will running the wrong thermostat temp have a negative effect on the
engine's performance?

TIA!

JimH wrote:
My Seloc repair manual for my 1997 Volvo Penta 4.3L with and SX outdrive
says the engine takes a 160F thermostat. That is what I installed in
spring.

The mechanic who worked on my boat after the overheating incident says it
takes a 140F thermostat and that is what he installed.

Does anyone know the correct thermostat temperature rating for this engine?

Will running the wrong thermostat temp have a negative effect on the
engine's performance?

TIA!

JimH,

I have always followed the mfg'ers recommendations, it just makes sense
that they know the best parts for their engine. Volvo recommends a
thermostat in the 160-170 degree range. It might not be the case, but
when a mechanic, especially one who forgot to change my impeller in the
spring, recommends something different than the mfg'er I assume it is
because that is what he has in stock.

I know I would be looking for a new mechanic.

--
Reggie

That's my story and I am sticking to it!

Reginald P. Smithers III wrote:
JimH wrote:
[...]

I don't know for certain if the engine calls for 160F or 140F, even
though the Seloc manual says 160F. Thus my questions which you did
not answer.

Where did you get the idea that the mechanic forgot to change the
impeller?

I am not ready to look for a mechanic. For all I know he may be right.

Can anyone else address my questions?

JimH wrote:
[...]

Your Selco manual; is CORRECT. The Therm. should be 160 degrees
according to Volvo specs. Which I thought I did address, sorry.

I thought I read that you told the mechanic to change the impeller and
they didn't.

Your mechanic is incorrect, and he knows he should absolutely know Volvo
recommends a 160 degree therm. Anyone who has been in the business
anytime at all would know that Volvo has always run their engines hotter
than Merc. If he doesn't know this, it is even more reason to run to
another mechanic.

JimH wrote:
My Seloc repair manual for my 1997 Volvo Penta 4.3L with and SX outdrive
says the engine takes a 160F thermostat. That is what I installed in
spring.

The mechanic who worked on my boat after the overheating incident says it
takes a 140F thermostat and that is what he installed.

Does anyone know the correct thermostat temperature rating for this engine?

Will running the wrong thermostat temp have a negative effect on the
engine's performance?

TIA!

PS - I assume you know the 140 degree therm. is the more popular therm.
for merc., but even Merc. makes engines that uses a 160 degree therm.
I guess he has a one thermostat fits all policy. I am amazed he would
do this for a customer who had just had a major service problem due to
their negligence.

I would very quickly find a Mechanic/Dealer who services lots of
Volvo/Penta's, or this will be an on going problem.

JimH wrote:
[...]

He is a certified Volvo Penta mechanic.

Sorry, but I really don't know what sort of mechanical or boating
background you have and I do not trust your opinions. Perhaps if you
would be more open on your boating experience and boats you own/owned
folks may be more trusting of your advice. Until then I assume you
have never stepped foot on a boat.

So can anyone address my original questions?

JimH wrote:
[...]

By the way, this is excellent advice for anyone using UseNet. Do not
believe any advice given in UseNet without verifying it.

You do know it is very easy to check Volvo or for that matter any
mfg'ers product specs online. If I can help you find the Volvo Penta
site for your 4.3L let me know.

--
Reggie

That's my story and I am sticking to it!

oups.com...

JimH wrote:
[...]

When you ask a question that should be done in person or by research, then
get snippy questioning someone's ability to provide an acceptable answer,
and say you don't trust them, you have issues.

Go to another dealer and ask which is right, you will have your answer in a
couple minutes.

Jim Jim is offline

Every source that I have looked at says that Jim's boat takes a 160
thermostat. I don't know why his mechanic selected a 143 thermostat, but Jim
shouldn't notice any performance changes with it. Find something else to
worry about, Jim.
Jim
"MikeT" wrote in message

oups.com...