Default A question on thermostats

On Sat, 8 Jul 2006 21:58:21 -0400, " JimH"
jimhUNDERSCOREosudad@yahooDOTcom wrote:

" JimH" jimhUNDERSCOREosudad@yahooDOTcom wrote in message
My Seloc repair manual for my 1997 Volvo Penta 4.3L with and SX outdrive
says the engine takes a 160F thermostat. That is what I installed in
spring.

The mechanic who worked on my boat after the overheating incident says it
takes a 140F thermostat and that is what he installed.

Does anyone know the correct thermostat temperature rating for this
engine?

Will running the wrong thermostat temp have a negative effect on the
engine's performance?

TIA!

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I will be telling the marina to
install a 160F thermostat...........on them. ;-)

No problem, JimH. Glad to help you out. Try to be a little courteous when
talking to the mechanics. A couple sound 'thunks' on your manifolds and
risers could loosen enough rust and crud to stop them up. Then where would
you be?
--
John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

Reginald P. Smithers III wrote:
JimH wrote:
" JimH" jimhUNDERSCOREosudad@yahooDOTcom wrote in message
. ..
My Seloc repair manual for my 1997 Volvo Penta 4.3L with and SX outdrive
says the engine takes a 160F thermostat. That is what I installed in
spring.

The mechanic who worked on my boat after the overheating incident says it
takes a 140F thermostat and that is what he installed.

Does anyone know the correct thermostat temperature rating for this
engine?

Will running the wrong thermostat temp have a negative effect on the
engine's performance?

TIA!

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I will be telling the marina to
install a 160F thermostat...........on them. ;-)

PS - I hope you did follow the most important advice provided in
rec.boats and verify the info with the Volvo service manual. While I am
very confident you will find the 160 temp is correct, you really don't
want to base your decision based upon the popular vote in rec.boats.

--
Reggie

That's my story and I am sticking to it!

Don't worry Reggie. I did not base my decision on your or anyone
else's advice. I took another look at my Seloc manual again. 160F for
my engine, although the 7.4L and 8.2L Volvo Penta engines take a 140F.
(You previously stated that ALL Volvo Penta's take a 160F). I then
verified this by talking to a mechanic from another marina.

As I said, thanks to all those who *helped*. Sorry JohnH, you are not
in that group. ;-)

JohnH wrote:
[...]

Sorry John, but you did not help out (I failed to find any good and
meaninful advice you offered on the thermostat) and the thanks was
certainly not directed to you.

Have a superfragilistic day!!!!

JimH wrote:

" JimH" jimhUNDERSCOREosudad@yahooDOTcom wrote in message
om...

[...]

John was busy with his 'facilitating sideline'.

news:d8qdnWc4O_TiLTLZnZ2dnUVZ_sOdnZ2d@comcast. com...

[...]

And taunting. ;-)

JimH wrote:
[...]

This is a perfect example of why you should verify ALL info. grin.

When I purchased my first Volvo (it was a 4.3, but I have owned both a
4.3 and a 5.7) I was amazed at the higher temp on the engine versus the
Merc. I had previously owned. The mech. giving me the check out told
me that all Volvo ran at the higher temp.

Very few people would intentionally give bad advice in UseNet, but I
have read as much bad advice (and I mean advice that would have caused
expensive repairs) as I have read good advice.

What was your mechanic's response when you told him about Volvo's specs
on the thermostats?

On 9 Jul 2006 05:46:35 -0700, "JimH" wrote:

JohnH wrote:
[...]

Well, I'm certainly sorry the web site with the part numbers and the advice
on the manifolds and risers wasn't helpful. Who knows, maybe you'll get 15
years out of them - set a record!

Your response, after I unkillfiled you so I could be helpful, was mean and
spiteful. I thought, since you'd not told any lies or called anyone an
asshole for more than 48 hours, that you'd turned over a new leaf.

I'm glad to hear all is well with the boat, and I hope the problems with
the basement work themselves out. I've thought of getting a generator, but
have decided that the cost and hassle is not worth it. If I lost all the
food in my freezer and refrigerator, it would be nowhere near $4000-5000
worth of food.
--
John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

JohnH wrote:
[...]

Sorry if I hurt your feeling John. All you did was post a site that
listed thermostats. Prior to that you kept telling me to replace my
risers and manifolds. Can you get it in your head that I boat in
freshwater and the engine has low hours?

You did not help me with this thermostat question and if telling you so
was mean and spiteful then you are one of the most sensitive persons I
have ever met on the net.

Look back at your initial post John to see who made the mean and
spiteful remark.

Keep up with the lies and nasty remarks about me, but do have a
superfragilisticexpeodociousmostspectacular day!!!!

JohnH wrote:
[...]

OK! I'll do that!
--
John H

[...]