Default 67 Evinrude Selectric

I have a 1967 Evinrude 40hp with selectric controls.

I am unable to get it into neutral, which means I cannot start the
engine. The engine itself runs great, it is the finding neutral that is
driving me crazy.

Where can I buy parts for this? Are there any ways to improve the
shifting on it?

I read one post where someone rewired the reverse signal to be be
neutral.

When the ignition key is off, you should be able to turn the prop freely,
(neutral). If not, then you have problems in the lower unit. Power is
supplied to the lower unit only in forward and reverse. If you can't turn
the prop freely with the ignition key in on position, (not running) then you
may have a short in the wiring or a bad push button switch.

Ron

"Diesel" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a 1967 Evinrude 40hp with selectric controls.

I am unable to get it into neutral, which means I cannot start the
engine. The engine itself runs great, it is the finding neutral that is
driving me crazy.

Where can I buy parts for this? Are there any ways to improve the
shifting on it?

I read one post where someone rewired the reverse signal to be be
neutral.

I will check Wednesday if I have one.

Ron

oups.com...

Ron Knapik wrote:
When the ignition key is off, you should be able to turn the prop freely,
(neutral). If not, then you have problems in the lower unit. Power is
supplied to the lower unit only in forward and reverse. If you can't
turn
the prop freely with the ignition key in on position, (not running) then
you
may have a short in the wiring or a bad push button switch.

Ron

"Diesel" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a 1967 Evinrude 40hp with selectric controls.

I am unable to get it into neutral, which means I cannot start the
engine. The engine itself runs great, it is the finding neutral that is
driving me crazy.

Where can I buy parts for this? Are there any ways to improve the
shifting on it?

I read one post where someone rewired the reverse signal to be be
neutral.

Thanks. Also see that these engines require type c gear oil. The local
boat repair shop gave me 90w, which may be the problem.

Ron Knapik wrote:
I will check Wednesday if I have one.

Ron

oups.com...

Ron Knapik wrote:
When the ignition key is off, you should be able to turn the prop freely,
(neutral). If not, then you have problems in the lower unit. Power is
supplied to the lower unit only in forward and reverse. If you can't
turn
the prop freely with the ignition key in on position, (not running) then
you
may have a short in the wiring or a bad push button switch.

Ron

"Diesel" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a 1967 Evinrude 40hp with selectric controls.

I am unable to get it into neutral, which means I cannot start the
engine. The engine itself runs great, it is the finding neutral that is
driving me crazy.

Where can I buy parts for this? Are there any ways to improve the
shifting on it?

I read one post where someone rewired the reverse signal to be be
neutral.

Type C has been replace by Evinrude Johnson Premium Blend gear lube, which
should be available from any Evinrude Johnson dealer.

Ron

ups.com...

Ron Knapik wrote:
I will check Wednesday if I have one.

Ron

oups.com...

Ron Knapik wrote:
When the ignition key is off, you should be able to turn the prop

freely,
(neutral). If not, then you have problems in the lower unit. Power

is
supplied to the lower unit only in forward and reverse. If you can't
turn
the prop freely with the ignition key in on position, (not running)

then
you
may have a short in the wiring or a bad push button switch.

Ron

ups.com...