JimH

Default Vermilion River/My Marina Flooding

Our marina is on the Vermilion River in Vermilion, Ohio. It has started to
flood due to the excessive rain we have had over the past 3 days.

These pictures were taken this morning:

http://tinyurl.com/r4orv (Our dock and boat)

http://tinyurl.com/mcx96
http://tinyurl.com/mmvbr (Fixed docks at our marina)

http://tinyurl.com/p2c37 (travel lift area, water up to sea wall)

http://tinyurl.com/rk8ce (fixed docks, water past sea wall)

http://tinyurl.com/q3zfj (floating docks at an adjoining marina)

http://tinyurl.com/h6vgb (public boat launch ramps damaged from the strong
current and high water)

http://tinyurl.com/j2yha (water on the river up to the sea wall, normal
level is 4 feet below)

http://tinyurl.com/zvd5e (one house on the river)

The water level is expected to crest sometime later today. Our marina has
been on top of things all night and all day, checking the boats and
adjusting dock lines when needed. Being the worry wart that I am I will be
probably be back later today to check the boat again.

JimH wrote:
[...]

Good luck. Hope you get through this without any damage to your boat.

I noticed you are basically relying on a breast tie in the photo of
your boat at the float. That works OK as long as you are tied to a
float, but it looks like the landward end of your float is restricted
in its ability to rise and fall with the river level. You might
experiment with relying on a crossed pair of severe spring lines if
that float isn't going to rise and fall at the same rate as your boat,
but on the other hand it looks like you're "only" dealing with a few
feet or so- not like one of our 12-15 foot typical tide changes here in
the Pac NW.

JimH

wrote in message
oups.com...

JimH wrote:
[...]

I have a bow line, stern line and spring line running from the 2nd last post
on the fingerdock to the cleat on the starboard stern. There is no cleat
midship. I raised the line on the post holding the bow line to allow for
some more slack. I believe I should be OK with this arrangement.

This is a floating dock and it rose above the top of post holding the back
(floating) end of the dock in place but allowing for it to rise and fall.
The marina brought in a crane and repositioned the back end of the dock so
it was once again attached to that rear post. The downside is that they
clamped the top end of the post, therefore not allowing for it to rise past
the clamp. If the water continues to rise I will no longer have a floating
dock as the back end is pegged to a maximum height.

http://tinyurl.com/qr27j

Either my friend (who has a boat down the river at another marina) will stop
by later today to check our boat, or I will be making another trip down
there.

These marina's on the Great Lakes are not set up to handle sudden and large
fluctuations in the water level as we obviously do not have tides.

basskisser

JimH wrote:

These marina's on the Great Lakes are not set up to handle sudden and large
fluctuations in the water level as we obviously do not have tides.

Yes you do. Just not enough to bother, or even hardly notice! I looked
it up because your statement made me think *why not*?!

http://www.great-lakes.net/teach/cha...100_tides.html

According to the Canadian Hydrologic/Hydrographic Service, the Great
Lakes experience tides from 1 to 4 cm, the strongest being on Lakes
Superior and Erie. These tides are often masked out by meteorologically
induced phenomena, such as a seiche (pronounced "sayshe"). When wind
pushes down on one part of a lake, the water surface rises in another
part, producing waves (most noticeable on Lake Erie because the lake is
so shallow).

JimH

" JimH" jimhUNDERSCOREosudad@yahooDOTcom wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

JimH wrote:
[...]

Got a call from our friend. Everything is fine.

Thanks to all here for being concerned..............or not.

BTW: A sincere thank you to Chuck Gould. You again proved yourself to be
the gold nugget of the NG. Thanks for being concerned and your advice
Chuck. ;-)

JimH

wrote in message
oups.com...

JimH wrote:
[...]

What a difference a day makes. The river was just about down to normal
today. The flooding and strong current on the river caused some major
damage, including docks literally being torn away from the seawall and
sending them, along with boats into the Lake due to the flooding and strong
current. Story and pic at:

http://www.cleveland.com/news/photos/

If asked for a zip code use any and spoof your age. Click on the picture of
the man kneeling on the rocks trying to free a boat, then click on that same
picture again when a new page appears. There are also stories and pictures
from other rivers in the area.

I was at the boat early this morning and saw floating docks locked in a 35
degree angle from the seawall as they did not fall back down into place
after the river level dropped.

The river and Lake were full of debris and floating logs. With NE winds
expected through Tuesday a lot of this crap will be washed ashore.......a
good thing for boaters.

Here was our view from our table today during a late lunch today with my
wife and our friends:

http://tinyurl.com/mjdk7

Sandusky Bay, Battery Park Marina. Cedar Point amusement park is in the
background.

JimH

" JimH" jimhUNDERSCOREosudad@yahooDOTcom wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
oups.com...

JimH wrote:
[...]

sending them, along with boats into the Lake. Story and pic at:

[...]

Doh!.....edit.

basskisser

JimH wrote:
[...]

How long has it been raining there? I've been to that area of the river
a couple of times.