posted to rec.boats.paddle
Sees-koo-wee-hah-nay

Default Night Paddling in Pennsylvania ??

According to the boating manual if I'm operating my kayak on
Commonwealth waters at night I am required to "have a white light
either handheld or installed ready to be displayed in time to avoid an
accident". I assume this means I can have a flashlight handy to shine
towards another boat. It goes on to say that at anchor I am required to
have "an all around white light visible for at least 2 miles and be
displayed where it can best be seen."

I'm would like to fish a certain Fish Comission lake at night. I'm not
planning on "anchoring" anywhere so would I need the "anchor light" if
I simply stopped awhile? Is that considered anchoring? The lights I've
seen for sale that I could use as an anchoring light have all been 12
volt and I do not have a 12 volt battery to take along with me nor do I
want to.

I've asked this question on their website but haven't heard anything
back.

FWIW, This particular lake does not allow gas motors, electric trolling
motors only and I personally have never seen another boat on there at
night while I've fished from the shore. I have and use my PFD and have
a whistle attached. I also would wear a headlamp as I do when shore
fishing along with 2 flashlight.

So can anyone who has been to or is from PA answer my anchoring
questions? TIA.

posted to rec.boats.paddle
Sees-koo-wee-hah-nay

Cyli wrote:
On 21 Jun 2006 12:15:05 -0700, "Sees-koo-wee-hah-nay"
wrote:

I'm would like to fish a certain Fish Comission lake at night. I'm not
planning on "anchoring" anywhere so would I need the "anchor light" if
I simply stopped awhile? Is that considered anchoring?

Do you have an anchor? If stopped would you be deploying it? If
you're not attached to the bottom in any way, you're not anchored, are
you?

No, I do not use an anchor but that would also depend on the local WCO
who can be a real prick.

The reason an anchored boat needs special lights is that it's unable
to move out of the way of another boat quickly and is not one of the
knowable natural hazards of the local water. If you don't have an
anchor out and are in control of the boat, you shouldn't need one.

However, the definitive answer would come from whoever patrols that
lake. Find out from your DNR or the Fish Commission and ask the
patrollers. Email or a couple of phone calls should settle the
matter.

I hope to see him tomorrow night, I know he'll be watching me from the
woods.
Email is useless, I have asked via email but no response, same thing a
few weeks ago.
I had a heck of a time getting a straight answer on launch permits as
they are issued by 2 different agencies, Pa. Fish Commission and DCNR.
Of course both permits are different looking and have been ask to come
ashore once by someone who didn't recognize the other agencies current
sticker. Throw in a DCNR mooring permit that is legal to launch with
and it gets even more confusing for those in charge. You can also use a
regular registration if you went that route. That's 4 different
stickers that you can use to launch at Fish Commission lakes and access
areas or Pennsylvania state parks.

posted to rec.boats.paddle
Hanta-Yo-Yo

wrote:

[...]

First off congrats on you and Wilko getting things cleared up!

lighting, I found a battery operated White LED marine approved
light, all self contained. I bought it on Ebay, along with a Red/Green
bow light. They are attached with a suction foot, or screwed on to bow
and stern. Uses 3 AA batteries, and is good for all night. I also carry
a flashlight. I figure you can never have to much light when it comes
to being seen, and not run over. You could check with your local Marine
West to see what others are using. This would not necessarily be the
legal definition, however the legal definition is pretty much the
minimal interpretation. So the more lights you use, the better.

The main No-No, is flashing lights, which are considered distress
signals, and will attract unwanted attention.

Some states also regulate the use of lights while fishing, so you could
have some conflicting regs that you want to check out. TnT OvO HYY

posted to rec.boats.paddle
Hanta-Yo-Yo

Hanta-Yo-Yo wrote:
wrote:

[...]

I forgot to mention here on local state waters, some do not allow boats
after dark, so the whole issure of lighting is moot. On some of the
local lakes, you can't even just beach your boat, you actually have to
put it back on the trailer, or in the case of roof mounted, back on the
car. Now this is Colorado, and PA. could very well be different! The
point being, check with the local officials, and have the boating regs
checked out.

I had been launching from a sandy beach, and found out that the park
ranger expected us to launch from the boat dock. That gives them an
opportunity to know who is on the water, and that they have the
required equipement. Also then that all the boats are accounted for
after dark. This makes sense, sort of, but it sure puts the kabosh on
paddling spontaneously, when you got to go through the boat dock when
all you have is a kayak! The other boaters look at you like you gotta
be kidding! But what the ranger said, the ranger gets, He is god you
know! He even pulled out the reg manual, about 4 inch thick book, and
a far cry from the handy quick reference brocure they hand you at the
park entrance as you come in! It is all sort of a sucker punch when
they can then turn around a fine you up to $999.00 for not obeying a
reg you know nothing about.

What it really has to do with is plausible deniablity, so that if you
go out and drown after dark, when you don't have the correct lights on
your boat, because you got run over by the state park ranger as he
zooms around the lake, making sure everybody is off the lake safely for
the night. Turns out, you lauched from an unauthorized launch point,
so they are not responsible! TnT OvO HYY

posted to rec.boats.paddle
Sees-koo-wee-hah-nay

Hanta-Yo-Yo wrote:

lighting, I found a battery operated White LED marine approved
light, all self contained. I bought it on Ebay, along with a Red/Green
bow light. They are attached with a suction foot, or screwed on to bow
and stern. Uses 3 AA batteries, and is good for all night. I also carry
a flashlight. I figure you can never have to much light when it comes
to being seen, and not run over. You could check with your local Marine
West to see what others are using. This would not necessarily be the
legal definition, however the legal definition is pretty much the
minimal interpretation. So the more lights you use, the better.

Is it "West Marine"? Google got me that with the nearest location being
Pittsburgh. What sucks is they also have a location in Boardman Ohio
and I just spent 4 days in Boardman last week. Grrr!

The main No-No, is flashing lights, which are considered distress
signals, and will attract unwanted attention.

Ok, thanks. I don't need any unwanted attention that's for sure.. I
took the Pa. Fish & Boating Commissions online practice test last night
and did pretty well considering my experience is limited to the the
local river that has no other traffic other than an occasional canoe or
kayak and the local lakes that do not allow powerboats or PWC. I'm
going to take the online course they offer to get my feet wet (no pun
intended).

Some states also regulate the use of lights while fishing, so you could
have some conflicting regs that you want to check out. TnT OvO HYY

I'll be seeing the WCO tonight I'm sure!