posted to rec.boats.paddle
Sees-koo-wee-hah-nay

Default Night Paddling in Pennsylvania ??

Hanta-Yo-Yo wrote:

lighting, I found a battery operated White LED marine approved
light, all self contained. I bought it on Ebay, along with a Red/Green
bow light. They are attached with a suction foot, or screwed on to bow
and stern. Uses 3 AA batteries, and is good for all night. I also carry
a flashlight. I figure you can never have to much light when it comes
to being seen, and not run over. You could check with your local Marine
West to see what others are using. This would not necessarily be the
legal definition, however the legal definition is pretty much the
minimal interpretation. So the more lights you use, the better.

Is it "West Marine"? Google got me that with the nearest location being
Pittsburgh. What sucks is they also have a location in Boardman Ohio
and I just spent 4 days in Boardman last week. Grrr!

The main No-No, is flashing lights, which are considered distress
signals, and will attract unwanted attention.

Ok, thanks. I don't need any unwanted attention that's for sure.. I
took the Pa. Fish & Boating Commissions online practice test last night
and did pretty well considering my experience is limited to the the
local river that has no other traffic other than an occasional canoe or
kayak and the local lakes that do not allow powerboats or PWC. I'm
going to take the online course they offer to get my feet wet (no pun
intended).

Some states also regulate the use of lights while fishing, so you could
have some conflicting regs that you want to check out. TnT OvO HYY

I'll be seeing the WCO tonight I'm sure!