posted to rec.boats.paddle
Sees-koo-wee-hah-nay

Default Night Paddling in Pennsylvania ??

According to the boating manual if I'm operating my kayak on
Commonwealth waters at night I am required to "have a white light
either handheld or installed ready to be displayed in time to avoid an
accident". I assume this means I can have a flashlight handy to shine
towards another boat. It goes on to say that at anchor I am required to
have "an all around white light visible for at least 2 miles and be
displayed where it can best be seen."

I'm would like to fish a certain Fish Comission lake at night. I'm not
planning on "anchoring" anywhere so would I need the "anchor light" if
I simply stopped awhile? Is that considered anchoring? The lights I've
seen for sale that I could use as an anchoring light have all been 12
volt and I do not have a 12 volt battery to take along with me nor do I
want to.

I've asked this question on their website but haven't heard anything
back.

FWIW, This particular lake does not allow gas motors, electric trolling
motors only and I personally have never seen another boat on there at
night while I've fished from the shore. I have and use my PFD and have
a whistle attached. I also would wear a headlamp as I do when shore
fishing along with 2 flashlight.

So can anyone who has been to or is from PA answer my anchoring
questions? TIA.