Jonas Stein

Default Why N and C in the NC-flag?

Hi,

why were the letters N and C chosen for the call of emergency sign?

--
kind regards,

Jonas Stein
John Gaquin

"Jonas Stein" wrote in message
Hi,

why were the letters N and C chosen for the call of emergency sign?

I don't know, but probably because in combination they would be easy to
send, even by an injured person - not complicated....dah dit, dah dit dah
dit......-- and easy to pick out and recognize by a listener. Much like the
SOS -- a clear, simple repeated signal.

RCE

"John Gaquin" wrote in message
. ..

"Jonas Stein" wrote in message
Hi,

why were the letters N and C chosen for the call of emergency sign?

I don't know, but probably because in combination they would be easy to
send, even by an injured person - not complicated....dah dit, dah dit dah
dit......-- and easy to pick out and recognize by a listener. Much like
the SOS -- a clear, simple repeated signal.

This is a good question. I just spent a bunch of Google time trying to find
a definitive answer ... without success.
Here's my hunch though ....

In terms of flags .... the "C" flag is striped and means "yes". The "N"
flag has blue square symbols (looks very different than the C stripes) and
means "no".

When in an emergency, one would try to call attention to his/her vessel, so
you need to do something that does not make sense or seem ordinary. Flying
a "Yes" and "No" flag at the same time is certainly not ordinary.

Interestingly, the old school of thought was to fly the vessel's national
flag upside down as an emergency signal.
That is no longer recommended because many nations have flags that look the
same, either way.

Also, as John points out ... in Morse Code, a "C" is .- while an "N" is
..-.-

The most information I could find was from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...e_signal_flags

RCE

www.eisboch.com

Wayne.B

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 19:52:39 -0400, "RCE" wrote:

Also, as John points out ... in Morse Code, a "C" is .- while an "N" is
.-.-

Actually not.

An "N" is _. (dah dit)

"C" is _._. (dah dit dah dit)

RCE

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 19:52:39 -0400, "RCE" wrote:

Also, as John points out ... in Morse Code, a "C" is .- while an "N" is
.-.-

Actually not.

An "N" is _. (dah dit)

"C" is _._. (dah dit dah dit)

Right, you are. Us dyslectic people shouldn't do Morse code.

RCE

www.eisboch.com

John Gaquin

"RCE" wrote in message

Right, you are. Us dyslectic people shouldn't do Morse code.

I'm dyslectic, and I'm mad.... D-A-M

"RCE" wrote in message

Right, you are. Us dyslectic people shouldn't do Morse code.

I'm dyslectic, and I'm mad.... D-A-M

The only Morse code I remember is SOS.

So, it really doesn't matter.

RCE

www.eisboch.com

Jonas Stein

When in an emergency, one would try to call attention to his/her vessel,
so
you need to do something that does not make sense or seem ordinary.
Flying a "Yes" and "No" flag at the same time is certainly not ordinary.

That makes much sense.
I have asked the DSV (German Sailor Organization) now too. Probably they can
approve this. I will post their answer here.

Thanks so far for all hints.

--
kind regards,

Jonas Stein
Solo Thesailor

Yes, I have always thought since first learning about sailing that that
makes sense, any person saying No-Yes is in the state of mind that
needs help!

SO, I thought very quietly further, when a woman says No-Yes you should
go to her, definitely. But alas when a man says No-Yes he is
ambivalent, has commitment phobia and you should run the other way.

Solo Thesailor
http://sailingstoriesandtips.blogspot.com Comments and feedback about
the stories and the brand-new-site most appreciated, thank you.