Al D

Default What type of inflatable boat should I consider for this purpose?

Excuse the novice question, but I need an inflatable boat of some sort
for the purpose of crossing a 1/2-mile wide river estuary
occasionally. The water flow from the river is very slow, (it's not
much of a river, despite the width of the estuary. The water is fairly
well sheltered from the ocean waves. The tide rises and falls quite
quickly. The boat ideally needs to carry myself, plus a rucksack full
of camping gear. Occasionally, I'd like to add one other adult and
rucksack. The boat needs to be light enough to be carried by one
person for short distances (when inflated but not laden), by one man.

I would also like to do longer trips occasionally (a few miles) along
the shoreline of the wider parts of the estuary - sort of leisurely
exploration trips. I'd also like to take the boat out along the
shoreline of the local beaches (outside the estuary) when the weather
is calm.

The boat needs to be an inflatable, since the only place I have to
store it is the trunk of my car. Folding boats were also of interest,
until I discovered the cost.

Budget is limited, so I have been looking at the Sevylor Tahiti (10 ft
2-seater inflatable canoe) and its 12-foot 3-seater version (both
under $200). My main concerns about these are that I they get blown
around by the wind and track terribly. If a wind blew up when I was
half-way across the estuary, there's no telling where I might end up!

So I'm wondering if I'd be wiser to go for some other kind of
inflatable with an outboard motor. What do you think? Any help would
be appreciated... While I have a small amount of sailing and
navigation experience, I have almost zero experience of canoes and
small craft.

Many thanks,

Al D

Al D wrote:
Excuse the novice question, but I need an inflatable boat of some sort
for the purpose of crossing a 1/2-mile wide river estuary
occasionally.

Budget is limited, so I have been looking at the Sevylor Tahiti (10 ft
2-seater inflatable canoe) and its 12-foot 3-seater version (both
under $200). My main concerns about these are that I they get blown
around by the wind and track terribly. If a wind blew up when I was
half-way across the estuary, there's no telling where I might end up!

Wow, this is a challenge. Are you limited to a $200 expediture? At 200
bucks you won't get a boat of any sort, you'll get a glorified air
mattress- a toy. A real inflatable will cost at least 4-5 times that
amount, and many cost much more. What's the most you would consider
spending for a boat that would actually meet your requirements? If you
want to have enough options so that advice is meaningful or applicable,
you will need to expand the universe of boats available for you to
choose from. At $200, there won't be many at all.

I use a 9' Zodiac with a folding floor, wooden transom, and something
of an inflatable "keel" as my primary dinghy. It's easy to launch, one
person can handle it when deflated, inflates with a foot pump in about
7-8 minutes. (Used to 5 minutes, but I used to be younger). When too
lazy to row, I use a very small Nissan (Tohatsu) outboard and it will
run at about 10 knots or so. It would work pretty well for the light
duty applications you are describing.

Al D

On 2 Jun 2006 08:13:03 -0700, "
wrote:

I use a 9' Zodiac with a folding floor, wooden transom, and something
of an inflatable "keel" as my primary dinghy. It's easy to launch, one
person can handle it when deflated, inflates with a foot pump in about
7-8 minutes. (Used to 5 minutes, but I used to be younger). When too
lazy to row, I use a very small Nissan (Tohatsu) outboard and it will
run at about 10 knots or so. It would work pretty well for the light
duty applications you are describing.

Thank you for the input. Yes, as a matter of fact, I have been looking
at the Zodiac and similar sports boats (I think that's the right term,
isn't it?). Being able to do 10 knots would certainly give some some
defense against unexpected winds, wouldn't it?

It's difficult to decide on a price limit. It's hard to justify paying
out much, becuase it is really for occasional use - say 8 or 10 times
per year, in the Summer only, so I think I will have to say my price
limit is: as little as possible to do the job with some degree of
safety and comfort. $500 absolute max is the sort of figure I had in
mind. The main requirement is that the boat must be stowable in the
back of a reasonable-sized hatchback car, and light enough for one
person to carry it 100 yards (from a car park to the shore, etc).

Al D

Reginald P. Smithers

Al D wrote:
[...]

I would steer clear of the inexpensive inflatables, and look for a used
canoe or Jon Boat.

--
Reggie

That's my story and I am sticking to it.
Al D

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 12:37:34 -0400, "Reginald P. Smithers"
wrote:

I would steer clear of the inexpensive inflatables, and look for a used
canoe or Jon Boat.

Thanks... Out of the two, it would have to be a canoe. I *definitely*
cannot store a jon boat anywhere. A canoe is possible, though... by
stringing it up from the ceiling in my hallway... (That's what I used
to do with my kayak...)

Al D

JimH

wrote:

I would steer clear of the inexpensive inflatables, and look for a used
canoe or Jon Boat.

Thanks... Out of the two, it would have to be a canoe. I *definitely*
cannot store a jon boat anywhere. A canoe is possible, though... by
stringing it up from the ceiling in my hallway... (That's what I used
to do with my kayak...)

Al D

You can also see if you can find as used Porta-Bote that fits your budget:

http://www.porta-bote.com/

Al D

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 15:25:55 -0400, " JimH" jimh UNDERSCORE
osudad@yahooDOTcom wrote:

You can also see if you can find as used Porta-Bote that fits your budget:

http://www.porta-bote.com/

Thanks... I like the concept... Will look out for affordable ones.

Al D

JimH

news
osudad@yahooDOTcom wrote:

You can also see if you can find as used Porta-Bote that fits your budget:

http://www.porta-bote.com/

Thanks... I like the concept... Will look out for affordable ones.

Al D

Here is a used 12 footer with accessories presently at $455 on ebay:

http://tinyurl.com/jtthg

Interesting boat ride on a 26 Twin Vee [email protected] General 5 March 29th 06 05:58 AM
Need a Plan to Protect Boat from UV and Mildew All Year Round - 2 [email protected] General 2 December 15th 05 06:25 AM
Old Tyme Boat Brochure Photos, Amusing attire [email protected] General 81 October 13th 05 05:48 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 7 October 12th 05 10:25 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM