Al D

Default What type of inflatable boat should I consider for this purpose?

On 2 Jun 2006 08:13:03 -0700, "
wrote:

I use a 9' Zodiac with a folding floor, wooden transom, and something
of an inflatable "keel" as my primary dinghy. It's easy to launch, one
person can handle it when deflated, inflates with a foot pump in about
7-8 minutes. (Used to 5 minutes, but I used to be younger). When too
lazy to row, I use a very small Nissan (Tohatsu) outboard and it will
run at about 10 knots or so. It would work pretty well for the light
duty applications you are describing.

Thank you for the input. Yes, as a matter of fact, I have been looking
at the Zodiac and similar sports boats (I think that's the right term,
isn't it?). Being able to do 10 knots would certainly give some some
defense against unexpected winds, wouldn't it?

It's difficult to decide on a price limit. It's hard to justify paying
out much, becuase it is really for occasional use - say 8 or 10 times
per year, in the Summer only, so I think I will have to say my price
limit is: as little as possible to do the job with some degree of
safety and comfort. $500 absolute max is the sort of figure I had in
mind. The main requirement is that the boat must be stowable in the
back of a reasonable-sized hatchback car, and light enough for one
person to carry it 100 yards (from a car park to the shore, etc).

Al D