Default Please help!!! Mercruiser 5.7 Not starting Please help!!!

Hello everyone,

I am a begginer with boats but have some experiance with cars...

Just bought a '96 bayliner ciera with a Mercruiser 5.7 litter 2 barrel
carb Thunderbolt 5 Ignition
The thing ran fine for a while, then wouldnt start when hot and
eventually now doesnt start at all.

It cranks, turns over but no signs of life. I am getting gas for sure,
can see it in the carb.
I already changed the spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor. No change.
There is voltage going to the coil and continuity throught the coil.

There is spark comming from the main ignition wire (visible if you
touch ground)
There is also spark comming off the ignition wires (when you touch
ground)

When it did run, it ran just fine and I didnt't touch anything, so I
doubt it's the timing..

SO I get gas, I get spark and nothing.... I am aware of the ignition
module/sensor and some kind of a changable ignition pick up sensor in
the distributor, but I have no idea how they work and wether they are
the problem. Me and my buddies are totally stuck. Anyone have any
ideas?

Any help would be greatly appreciate it....

Thank you,

Alex.

JIMinFL

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Spark should jump a 1/2 inch gap to ground from a spark plug wire. Often hot
no starts are due to a bad coil or sensor module in the distributor. Also
gas could be percolating out the carburetor flooding the engine when hot. Or
you might have a stuck float. Check the choke operation. There is a
possibility that the plug wires aren't on right. Squirt a little carb
cleaner into the carb then try to start.
Trying to fix this problem over the internet could be a lengthy process.
Your best bet is to get a pro to look at it for you. It shouldn't cost much.

Thanks Jim,

I appreciate your response. I will get someone to look at it, was just
hoping to fix it myself.

I tried starter fluid/carb cleaner still does not start

It does not start cold either anymore

Carb ran fine and seemed to be functioning properly...

Spark plug wires were changed.

Checked the choke, seems fine.

I also think it's the coil or the sensor, but which one first?

Thanks again Jim.

If I got plenty of gas in the carb, can I at least eliminate some kind
of a carburator problem?

Or is it possible it can be flooding the plugs before they have a
chance to fire?

JohnH

On 19 May 2006 07:23:31 -0700, wrote:

[...]

When mine did much the same thing, it turned out to be the coil. I could
see a spark at the plugs, but the spark was weak. Coils are not all that
expensive.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
JohnH

On Fri, 19 May 2006 16:20:24 GMT, "JIMinFL" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Good advice. I should have read your post before pounding on my keyboard!
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

Thanks John,

I bought the spark testing tool today and did the test out of my
mercruiser book.
according to the test it's the ignition sensor/pick up below the rotor
in the distributor so i am going to try that. If that doesn't work i
will try the coil. After that it's off to pro help.

I definately see the spark using the tool comming out of the coil and i
think it's weaker at the plugs. hoping the senso will do it...

Thanks again for responding.

Mercruiser 470 a POS?? BoatNewb Cruising 2 April 3rd 06 07:44 PM
Mercruiser TR TRS Joe Boater General 0 February 8th 06 05:43 PM
Mercruiser TR TRS Joe Boater Touring 0 February 8th 06 05:42 PM
I need some help on a boat purchase 140 Mercruiser vs.Evinrude vro140 [email protected] Cruising 2 December 1st 05 04:50 AM
How to Start an Outboard Motor Without Actually Starting It? [email protected] General 5 November 29th 05 02:20 AM