ves911

Default teak swimout -HELP

I RECENTLY OILED AND OILED OUR TEAK SWIMOUT PLATFORMS. NOW ALL BLOTCHY AND
WHITE. I WAS INFORMED THAT I SHOULD HAVE PROBABLY HAVE SPENT A LITTLE TIME
PREPING. NOW THAT THEY'RE ALREADY OILED, CAN I STILL SAND THEM DOWN AND
START OVER, OR DO I NEED TO PRETREAT THE WOOD WITH CLEANER BEFORE I CAN DO
ANYTHING ELSE. THANKS

ves911 wrote:
I RECENTLY OILED AND OILED OUR TEAK SWIMOUT PLATFORMS. NOW ALL BLOTCHY AND
WHITE. I WAS INFORMED THAT I SHOULD HAVE PROBABLY HAVE SPENT A LITTLE TIME
PREPING. NOW THAT THEY'RE ALREADY OILED, CAN I STILL SAND THEM DOWN AND
START OVER, OR DO I NEED TO PRETREAT THE WOOD WITH CLEANER BEFORE I CAN DO
ANYTHING ELSE. THANKS

First you need to get rid of the oil-over dirt mess. That won't be the
easiest thing you ever tried to do.
Mix up a stong solution of "Tide With Bleach", get a plastic bristle
scrub brush, and have after it. Don't scrub so hard you dig out the
"pith" (soft wood between the lines of grain) from the teak. Try to
avoid using a pressure washer on teak because it too will dig out the
pith and leave a rough, grainy surface.

Once you get the exterior dirt and gummy oil mess off, sand and the
teak down to where it is clean and smooth, or at least smooth. You can
apply some oaxaylic acid (wood bleach) to help clean and brighten the
teak. Then, after the teak is clean and dry, apply some teak oil.

finishing teak swimout ves911 General 1 April 19th 06 03:27 AM
Le Tonkinois on Teak: Experiences? Any good? Chris Boat Building 29 April 8th 06 02:01 PM
Le Tonkinois on Teak: Experiences? Any good? Chris Cruising 29 April 8th 06 02:01 PM
How to restore teak cabin sole? Roger Long Cruising 7 February 8th 06 09:08 PM
Teak seam caulk Glenn Ashmore Boat Building 20 January 13th 06 05:19 PM