Default Engine tuner in E-tecs to remove carbon

I have a 2003 E-tec 225HP with 200 hours. It has always used the
Evinrude factory oil.
Do you recommend the engine tuner be used to remove carbon?
Is there any downside to using this tuner?

TIA,
Mike

Billgran

wrote I have a 2003 E-tec 225HP with 200 hours.
It has always used the
Evinrude factory oil.
Do you recommend the engine tuner be used to remove carbon?
Is there any downside to using this tuner?

If you indeed have a 2003 225hp Evinrude, you have the DI version (FICHT),
not the E-TEC. A model number posted here would tell exactly what you have.

It is a good idea to decarbon the motor once a year or every 100 hours at
the same time as the annual service (100 hr.) is due. Also that motor has an
exhaust pressure sensor tube that should be removed and cleaned at the same
interval. Even though it is listed in the owners manual and the service
manual, many folks are not familiar with it.

Bill Grannis
service manager

Bill,

Thanks very much for your reply, I respect all your posts.
I have a 09/2003 production date E225FPXSRB.

I hope it's not the infamous FICHT or they fixed the problems in this
production date.
Your opinion is appreciated here.

I found a reference in the factory manual to the exhaust pressure
fitting that has a hose routed to the EMM. It says it should be
periodically cleaned. Any tips on how to do this.
Thanks,

Mike
Billgran wrote:
wrote I have a 2003 E-tec 225HP with 200 hours.
It has always used the
Evinrude factory oil.
Do you recommend the engine tuner be used to remove carbon?
Is there any downside to using this tuner?

If you indeed have a 2003 225hp Evinrude, you have the DI version (FICHT),
not the E-TEC. A model number posted here would tell exactly what you have.

It is a good idea to decarbon the motor once a year or every 100 hours at
the same time as the annual service (100 hr.) is due. Also that motor has an
exhaust pressure sensor tube that should be removed and cleaned at the same
interval. Even though it is listed in the owners manual and the service
manual, many folks are not familiar with it.

Bill Grannis
service manager

Del Cecchi

wrote in message
ups.com...
Bill,

Thanks very much for your reply, I respect all your posts.
I have a 09/2003 production date E225FPXSRB.

I hope it's not the infamous FICHT or they fixed the problems in this
production date.
Your opinion is appreciated here.

I found a reference in the factory manual to the exhaust pressure
fitting that has a hose routed to the EMM. It says it should be
periodically cleaned. Any tips on how to do this.
Thanks,

Reportedly, or maybe allegedly, most of the Ficht problems were with the
150/175 hp models.

del

Mike

wrote in message
ups.com...
Bill,

Thanks very much for your reply, I respect all your posts.
I have a 09/2003 production date E225FPXSRB.

Your motor is a 2004 Evinrude DI (direct injected) engine that was
manufactured in Sept. of '03, just like cars, the next year models are
produced about the middle of the preceding year.

Like Del said in a previous post, the troublesome FICHTS were 7 and 8 years
ago, and then only the 150-175 series. You might even get to read a
multi-page cut & paste reply from an Australian woman named Karen Smith who
rants and raves on and on about FICHT. Just ask for her credentials and what
experience and training she has in these particular motors, you won't get
any credible answer, so take her ramblings and personal attacks with a grain
of salt. She is just a pesky gadfly.

The exhaust sensor tube is on the lower stb. side. Remove the side cover
bolts and pull the back of the stb. cover away a bit. Follow the small EMM
rubber hose down to a stainless steel fitting. Cut the retaining ty-rap and
remove the fitting. Use the carbon cleaner solvent spray called Engine
Tuner, available from your dealer to see if the tube is not plugged up.
Sometimes soaking it overnite will help. If not, they are about $45 to
replace. Like I said, many don't know about it and complain that the motor
doesn't run right.

Your motor is great and has a good reputation for reliability, you may even
have warranty left on it. A dealer or BRP customer service can tell you.

Bill Grannis
service manager

Ping:... Joe Capt.Mooron ASA 24 March 31st 06 08:06 PM
Nanni Diesel Engine Problems [email protected] General 10 February 3rd 06 02:41 PM
Atomic 4 Gas Engine Replacement Question ... Thomas Wentworth Boat Building 9 January 23rd 06 02:43 AM
Sailboat engine rebuild, replace, fix question Thomas Wentworth General 5 January 22nd 06 10:55 PM
Winterizing Checklist Skipper General 27 November 10th 05 02:58 AM