Hans

Default Question for those of you that are in marinas

Hi!

I am hoping to get opinion(s) on signs posted in Marinas.

We are medium sized marina in a fairly sparsely populated area on the
Intercoastal Waterway.

We have very few signs posted other than the obligatory "No
Trespassing" sign so we can call the local law if we need to.

There has been a proposal that we add significant signage the has all
the "No's" on them.

No Fishing from the piers.
No swimming.
No Trespassing
No Parking unless member or guest
and so on.

There seems to be 2 schools of thought on what these signs will mean
to prospective slip buyers. If we post lots of signs up and down the
slips.

1. Wow! "These guys run a tight ship! My boat should be safe here."

2. Boy! There must be a lot of problems to have so many signs! I'm not
sure I would be comfortable keeping my boat here."

What would your impression be?

In actual practice, other than fishing from the piers, there haven't
been a lot of problems so I am really just asking, what creates a
better image for the marina. Lots of signs or few as possible?

I would really appreciate any comments.

Thanks!

--

This space available for a really clever sig

This space available for a really clever sig
JohnH

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 19:34:28 -0400, Hans wrote:

[...]

My marina has one big sign which covers most everything. Also, the rules
are spelled out on the back of every contract.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
JimH

"Hans" wrote in message

[...]

Signs can work against you if you do not enforce the rules posted on them.
They can also be done to such an excess that they become meaningless and
tacky.

Rather than putting up a bunch of signs invest the money in safety
equipment. Do you have life rings and hand held fire extinguishers every
500 feet or so of water frontage? Is there an emergency phone available
outside for 911 only calls? Is your exterior lighting adequate at the docks
and parking lot?

Now check your risk transfer controls. Are your contracts worded properly,
spelling out all rules and regulations and requiring proof of insurance
(liability) from your customers? Is "no swimming off the docks" noted in
the contract? Do you make clear in the contract that you are not
responsible for injuries, accidents, or damages caused by the customer or
their guests? Has an attorney reviewed your contract? Do you allow
contractors on site without first checking into your office (a sign is
needed) and showing proof of insurance before they can work on a boat? Do
the contractors you hire show proof of insurance annually?

I would focus on the safety and risk transfer controls before I started to
put up a bunch of signs that most folks will likely ignore. I hope this
helps. ;-)

DSK

Hans wrote:
We are medium sized marina in a fairly sparsely populated area on the
Intercoastal Waterway.

We have very few signs posted other than the obligatory "No
Trespassing" sign so we can call the local law if we need to.

heh heh here in NC it means you can legally shoot people on
your property.

There has been a proposal that we add significant signage the has all
the "No's" on them.

No Fishing from the piers.
No swimming.
No Trespassing
No Parking unless member or guest
and so on.

I assume "No Dogs On The Grass" is part of "and so on."

There seems to be 2 schools of thought on what these signs will mean
to prospective slip buyers. If we post lots of signs up and down the
slips.

1. Wow! "These guys run a tight ship! My boat should be safe here."

2. Boy! There must be a lot of problems to have so many signs! I'm not
sure I would be comfortable keeping my boat here."

What would your impression be?

My impression would be #3. "These guys are really really
overbearing and aren't willing to go out & personally tell
people when they're doing something inappropriate."

In actual practice, other than fishing from the piers, there haven't
been a lot of problems so I am really just asking, what creates a
better image for the marina. Lots of signs or few as possible?

I would really appreciate any comments.

My vote would be for fewer signs.

Our marina is sprouting signs and my objections
1- they're ugly
2- they don't do any good in the absense of a dockmaster
willing to walk the grounds & tell people to stop doing
things they're not supposed to.

I hate trespassers fishing from the dock. They leave bait
lying around, tangles of line & fish hooks, and occasionally
damage boats. I once saw a fisherman ruin a $600 racing sail
by getting a hook stuck in a seam, trying to cast thru the
boat's rig. He also acted like a jackass when the "No
Fishing From This Dock" sign was pointed out to him. The
situation wasn't resolved happily for anybody.

Fair Skies
Doug King

William Andersen

When I see a lot of signs I think of two things.
1. Ignorant, petty people
2. A neighborhood of people who do all of those stupid things.
Regardless of whether it's 1 or 2, I don't want to be there.
I have no problem with a new, easy to read, professional sign listing the
rules.
I have no problem with the rules being enforced.
Abiding by the rules probalbly makes the place a nice place to be.
I have lived in several communities with strict CC&Rs. Once in awhile I felt
a little restricted in what I could do, but because of the strict
enforcement of the CC&Rs, those communities were nice places to live, and
the property values stayed high, too.

"DSK" wrote in message
Hans wrote:
[...]

Bill Kearney

There has been a proposal that we add significant signage the has all
the "No's" on them.

No Fishing from the piers.
No swimming.
No Trespassing
No Parking unless member or guest
and so on.

Put up a sign in each area where it's appropriate. Put up one sign listing
them "all" in a place where most foot traffic goes through. Just make sure
the signs are in keeping with what the area. Don't put up some ugly-ass
metal sign when everything else is in carved wood, for example. It really
depends on the layout of the marina.

If swimming or fishing from piers becomes a problem then consider a similar
sign at a the place where it's problematic. But above all, be consistent
and be even-handed in enforcing it. If a non-member isn't following the
rules you're going to have to speak with them and ask them to leave. Most
folks would will go without confrontation when it's not started as a
confrontation. Some won't and that's what the local cops are for.

In actual practice, other than fishing from the piers, there haven't
been a lot of problems so I am really just asking, what creates a
better image for the marina. Lots of signs or few as possible?

I think that signs at/near the entrance or main 'choke points' of foot
traffic are better that ugly signs tacked up all over the place. A few
well-placed signs combined with pleasant, but consistent enforcement are
usually the best.

Hans wrote:
[...]

How do people get out onto the docks?

If there is only one major access point to a central pier or float then
you only need one sign.
It doesn't have to be negative in tone. Example:

***********

"Welcome to Deep Pockets Yacht Harbor. To proceed beyond this point,
you must be a registered tenant or the guest of a registered tenant.
(Nearest public shore access is 1/4 mile south, at Leaky Innertube
Beach).

To assure the best possible experience for all of our tenants and
guests, we ask that you refrain from:

1. Running on the floats
2. Fishing or swimming in the marina
3. Consuming alcoholic beverages (except when aboard a private boat)

State laws prohibit smoking on the docks, as well as the discharge of
firearms or the use of
fireworks anywhere in the marina. Please exercise your pets in the
grassy area west of the parking lot and tidy up by using the scoop
provided there.

Thank you. Have a wonderful day on the water."

Signs by the entrance(s) are more appropriate than a forest of "NO
THIS!" and "NO THAT!" messages all over the place.

The signs alone won't stop the most seriously dedicated bad actors, but
they do create a basis from which the marina manager can enforce the
rules.