posted to alt.sailing
Bob Scott

Default Catalina 22 swing keel

I have a Catalina 22 built in 1984. It has the "swing keel". As you
enter the cabin there is a crank right under the companionway. I assume
it is for raising and lowering the swing keel. There is a sticker on the
crank warning that I should read the manual (whatever that means) before
trying to use the crank. There's also something about that the crank
isn't for "human operation". Is there an electric winch installed under
there for goodness sake? I can't see any reason that I couldn't raise
and lower the swing keel by hand, but I can't release the crank. It's on
a ratchet. If I'm lucky today someone who knows how to release that
swing keel may read this and answer my question! (But I'd have to be
very lucky indeed to get an answer as quickly as I need it which is
immediately!)

Bob Scott

posted to alt.sailing
Bob Scott

Mys Terry wrote:
On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 17:21:38 GMT, Bob Scott wrote:

I have a Catalina 22 built in 1984. It has the "swing keel". As you
enter the cabin there is a crank right under the companionway. I assume
it is for raising and lowering the swing keel. There is a sticker on the
crank warning that I should read the manual (whatever that means) before
trying to use the crank. There's also something about that the crank
isn't for "human operation". Is there an electric winch installed under
there for goodness sake? I can't see any reason that I couldn't raise
and lower the swing keel by hand, but I can't release the crank. It's on
a ratchet. If I'm lucky today someone who knows how to release that
swing keel may read this and answer my question! (But I'd have to be
very lucky indeed to get an answer as quickly as I need it which is
immediately!)

Bob Scott

Here are the pages about operating the swing keel from the 1977 and
1987 Catalina 22 manuals.

http://www.catalina22.org/manuals/mn....htm#swingkeel

http://www.catalina22.org/manuals/mn...ndbook.htm#4.7

Wow! I WAS lucky! Those pages are just what I needed, I think. Thanks!
posted to alt.sailing
Randy Wahlfeldt

Hi Bob,

In addition to the National 22 org, here are other websites and Internet
resources for the Catalina 22.

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/rwahlfel/www/C22LinkList.htm

Hope this helps.

Randy

"Bob Scott" wrote in message
m...
I have a Catalina 22 built in 1984. It has the "swing keel". As you enter
the cabin there is a crank right under the companionway. I assume it is
for raising and lowering the swing keel. There is a sticker on the crank
warning that I should read the manual (whatever that means) before trying
to use the crank. There's also something about that the crank isn't for
"human operation". Is there an electric winch installed under there for
goodness sake? I can't see any reason that I couldn't raise and lower the
swing keel by hand, but I can't release the crank. It's on a ratchet. If
I'm lucky today someone who knows how to release that swing keel may read
this and answer my question! (But I'd have to be very lucky indeed to get
an answer as quickly as I need it which is immediately!)

Bob Scott

How much does a 1970 Venture 17 swing keel weigh? Roc Remington General 0 April 3rd 06 03:07 PM
I'm ba aaaack! jlr ASA 191 March 2nd 06 09:03 PM
Keel bolt material pete Boat Building 7 February 16th 06 09:53 PM
Cheap Boat Face-Off Capt. Rob ASA 11 January 12th 06 03:25 PM
Is Catalina 470 a decent offshore boat ? [email protected] Cruising 12 January 6th 06 04:20 PM