posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Default Cheap Boat Face-Off

Catalina 27 vs. Nordica 30

Quality:
Mooron has himself convinced that the Nordica 30 is some kind of
unknown Valiant or even or Hans Crhistian. All you have to do is visit
the Nordica website to learn that these boats have not held up well,
and Mooron was forced to rebuilt his interior. He himself said that the
interior components are of poor quality. On the other hand many
Catalina 27's of far greater age than his 30 are still sailing with
little more than new cushions. Catalina 27's have circumnavigated:
Fact! Nordica 30's have not. FACT!

Speed:
Neither boat is a speed demon to put it kindly, but at least if you own
a Cat 27 you can race in one design fleets. The Catalina will also
handle better overall. In a distance race, the Nordica 30 would have an
edge based on her size, not as likely around the cans.

Comfort:
Mooron's sad ignorant remark about "fitting down the companionway"
shows he (once again) doesn't know boats. As most people know, the
Catalina 27 features a hatch that is so wide it must be considered a
liability in offshore sailing (easily handled by smart sailors). Beyond
that, for her size, the Catalina 27 is a FAR more comfortable boat with
a big cabin and giant cockpit.

Resale:
When you consider that the average Nordica 30 sells for 20K or less
(True, in spite of Mooron's hilarious claims of being offered 60K),
she's basically priced just above the Pearson 30. This also proves that
her reputation hasn't exactly wowed the sailing community, which is
still willing to pay 50K for a Westsail 32 or 35K for a Island Packet
29. A 1973 Catalina 27 can be bought in good shape for about 8K, not
far from half her original price!

Winner:
There's no doubt that the Nordica 30 has personality. But it will cost
you in long term repairs and upkeep. If you want to sail buy the
Catalina 27. If you want to hire yourself to be a slave to poor
workmanship, by all means enjoy the Nordica 30. She'll certainly turn
the heads of the misinformed.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt.Mooron

What a lame Troll...... but I'll throw you a bone!
Read it and Weep you Loser!
Performance Comparison LOA Catalina 27 Std Rig 26.83

Nordica 30 29.49

LWL Catalina 27 Std Rig 21.41

Nordica 30 25

Beam Catalina 27 Std Rig 8.7

Nordica 30 9.77

Displacement Catalina 27 Std Rig 6439

Nordica 30 10220

Sail Area Catalina 27 Std Rig 329

Nordica 30 502

Capsize Ratio Catalina 27 Std Rig 1.87

Nordica 30 1.8

Hull Speed Catalina 27 Std Rig 6.2

Nordica 30 6.7

Sail Area to Displacement Catalina 27 Std Rig 15.21

Nordica 30 17.06

Displacement to LWL Catalina 27 Std Rig 293

Nordica 30 292

LWL to Beam Catalina 27 Std Rig 2.46

Nordica 30 2.56

Motion Comfort Catalina 27 Std Rig 24.03

Nordica 30 28.57

Pounds/Inch Catalina 27 Std Rig 666

Nordica 30 873

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message ups.com...
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

I'm afraid those numbers only prove how close the two vessels are foot
for foot.
And you used the standard rig rather than the popular tall rig deep fin
of course.
Nice try, Mooron. Nobody here is fooled. Well...maybe Scotty potty!

Thanks for the bone is any case.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt.Mooron

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm afraid those numbers only prove how close the two vessels are foot
for foot.
And you used the standard rig rather than the popular tall rig deep fin
of course.
Nice try, Mooron. Nobody here is fooled. Well...maybe Scotty potty!

Thanks for the bone is any case.

First Off you said you had the standard rig....... secondly one of my
friends owned one and I've had the opportunity to sail on and against it.
The Nordica 30 is faster than the Catalina 27 on all points of sail. The
Catalina 27 is a cheap squirrelly boat and the only positive thing about it
is they can be had everywhere for very little money. Look at my webshots
album.... you'll see the Catalina 27 next to my Nordica 30. It's the tiny
thing tied along side of my anchored vessel.

CM
..

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

First Off you said you had the standard rig

No one said I was comparing it to my boat, a tired and old example of
the classic Catalina 27 that seems to outlast your Nordica 30 without
full renovations.

The Nordica 30 is faster than the Catalina 27 on all points of sail.

As I clearly indicated the Nordica is the faster boat, but the deep fin
tall rig Catalina 27 will be nearly as fast and also point higher. In
heavy air it will have the ability to well exceed hull speed before
your jallopy can lift it's heavy skirt. It will also tack faster.

The
Catalina 27 is a cheap squirrelly boat

No review EVER of the Catalina 27 (or 30) has ever been noted as
"squirrelly" and in fact they track rather well. Since everyone else
does fine and you found it difficult, it's instantly clear the problem
lies in your sailing ability. I mean, who ever claimed they couldn't
sail a Catalina 27, the consumate beginner's boat? Mooron, that's who!

Catalina 27 is a cheap

Catalina is priced much like your boat and the 30's go for more than
your boat. If it's cheaply built, it sure isn't reflected in what you
wrote about the Nordica, and some needed full restorations on hulls
much newer than my 1973 C27.

I see a goofy boat and a smaller boat. What's your point?

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt.Mooron

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
As I clearly indicated the Nordica is the faster boat, but the deep fin
tall rig Catalina 27 will be nearly as fast and also point higher. In
heavy air it will have the ability to well exceed hull speed before
your jallopy can lift it's heavy skirt. It will also tack faster.

Ahem..... Talisker...the Catalina 27 was a tall rig version Bobsprit. Sure
it could make a few degrees higher on a point ... but the cost in speed
wasn't worth the compromise. It was tender, prone to getting knocked down...
sailed on it's ear if it wasn't reefed to the max in medium winds....
Turning on a dime was it's only asset. You thought you had quite the boat
back then didn't you.... you even challenged me to a race.
Bwahahahahahahahahahaaaaa... Fool!

No review EVER of the Catalina 27 (or 30) has ever been noted as
"squirrelly" and in fact they track rather well. Since everyone else
does fine and you found it difficult, it's instantly clear the problem
lies in your sailing ability. I mean, who ever claimed they couldn't
sail a Catalina 27, the consumate beginner's boat? Mooron, that's who!

That's a load of **** and you know it.... It's a squirrely boat that needs
a hand on the rudder at all times. Sailing is mediocre and it will keep an
Autohelm whirring for enternity to keep a bearing. Cripes ... the C27 tracks
like a drunken whore in high heels down a cobblestone street.... Catalina
27s are sold like a hound that won't hunt..... dirt cheap and often

Catalina is priced much like your boat and the 30's go for more than
your boat. If it's cheaply built, it sure isn't reflected in what you
wrote about the Nordica, and some needed full restorations on hulls
much newer than my 1973 C27.

Your 1973 C27 was and is a POS. You're bull****ting regarding my comments
on my boat.... my only complaint on the Nordica was the teak finish and the
small deck scuppers..... but then you knew that didn't you. I've never
restored my hull Bobsprit.... remove the triple x ablative and it's orignal
gelcoat. The Catalina 30s I have no experience with.... but if they sail
remotly like their counterpart C27... it's just a bigger POS.

Plus they are Fin Keelers.... and that's a strike against them already.

CM

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Sure
it could make a few degrees higher on a point

Bam!!!!

Turning on a dime was it's only asset.

Slambam!!!!!

It's a squirrely boat that needs
a hand on the rudder at all times.

Total BS and you know it. There are TONS of reviews for the Cat 27 and
none agree with you. You CAN'T sail, Mooron. You probably tried to sail
the boat as if it was your Tortoise 30.

You're bull****ting regarding my comments
on my boat.... my only complaint

Here's what YOU WROTE: "The woodwork inside is not always of the best
workmanship and is a common problem with ALL Nordicas."
KERPLOW!!!!

I've never
restored my hull Bobsprit

When are you planning to and what will it cost? Based on the website,
most have serious structural problems that are well hidden. Want links
again?
http://www.nordicaboats.com/html/projects.html
BaBOOM!!!!

but if they sail
remotly like their counterpart C27... it's just a bigger POS.

Yeah, so if a Catalina 30 has a nicer cabin, is built better and
outsails the Nordica 30 snailmaster and is a POS, then the Nordica 30
must be a UPOS....Ultra POS!
SpitSPLAT!!!!

Plus they are Fin Keelers.... and that's a strike against them
already.

Yeah, most 30 foot fin keelers outsail your boat, so I see why it
strikes you.
DababaBLAM!!!!

Oh, my poor, poor Mooron. You've just had your wig adjusted. Now go
have a smoke and think about how you sank the rep of your own boat
here!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

I'm going to sleep now, Mooron....take your time with the reply. You're
frothing and the tobacco spittle is staining your bunny slippers.

G'night.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt.Mooron

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm going to sleep now, Mooron....take your time with the reply. You're
frothing and the tobacco spittle is staining your bunny slippers.

G'night.

That's overproof rum spilled from my glass while laughing at your reply and
those are Beaver slippers.... same buck teeth but short ears and no fluffy
tail like yours!

G'night

CM

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

"Swab Rob" wrote

SpitSPLAT!!!!

Jeeze Mooron, haven't you gotten Bob to swallow yet?

Oh, my dear, dearr Mooron. You've just had your wig adjusted.

Now go
have a smoke and think about me.

RB
35s5 the gayest boat on ASA