posted to rec.boats.paddle
Kernix

Default Camping in the PA, NJ, area

Anyone know of any campsites in the area where you can canoe by day,
and then pull over at a campsite - table and fire ring? I know there
are sites on the Delaware near the Gap, but I would like to find
something closer. Jersey Pine Barrens maybe. I live in Philadelphia.

Thanks!
Jim

posted to rec.boats.paddle
Grip

Not personally familiar with the Pine Barrens, although I know people who
enjoy that trip, but for what you describe.....the DEL water gap is very
very hard to beat! The campsites are numerous and pristine, the water clear
and cool, your group will want to stop and swim every 30 mins! Plus you can
easily make weekend trip out of the 30 miles in the Gap.

"Kernix" wrote in message
oups.com...
Anyone know of any campsites in the area where you can canoe by day,
and then pull over at a campsite - table and fire ring? I know there
are sites on the Delaware near the Gap, but I would like to find
something closer. Jersey Pine Barrens maybe. I live in Philadelphia.

Thanks!
Jim

posted to rec.boats.paddle
Kernix

A weekend trip is what I'm thinking - actually Thurs night to Sunday
morning. Any idea when it will warm enough to swim? May?

Jim

posted to rec.boats.paddle
Grip

Depends upon the air temps and your\their tolerance to cooler water, but in
general I'de say late May or early June. Sooner if we get really warm air
temps. I really think your group will enjoy the Gap. There is one outfitter,
if you google and call a few.....that offers taking you and your group gear
included to the top for about 10-15 bucks a person and drop you off, well
worth it. To make a Thurs-Sun trip out of 30 miles, you will need to keep
your daily float to around 4-5. May start early Thurs evening, paddle for an
hour and find a site. Look for local clubs too that may have Pine Barrens
info. Good luck and have fun!
"Kernix" wrote in message
oups.com...
A weekend trip is what I'm thinking - actually Thurs night to Sunday
morning. Any idea when it will warm enough to swim? May?

Jim

posted to rec.boats.paddle
Kernix

Actually, I'll be going solo unless my one buddy can make it. For
Thursday, by the time I get up there it will be late so I'll probably
get a campsite. And what's the general speed again - 1/2 hr per mile?
I'm sure I'll stop a lot to take in the scenery - no rush.

posted to rec.boats.paddle
Grip

http://www.packshack.com/ These are the guys that offered the shuttle service last time I lead this trip. If doing a solo trip, it's the way to go.
We would start at Milford and go to Smithfield beach typically, you can stretch it a little more....ask outfitter....here are some river maps.
http://www.nps.gov/applications/park...ermapnorth.pdf
http://www.nps.gov/applications/park...ermapsouth.pdf

The river moves rather well, you can do 10 miles without realizing it. No real white water though, just some sections with class I riffles. Actually there is another option people use......which would be to get a stationary campsite, and operate out of it doing day trips. There is a major put-in\takeout every 10 miles, if you have a partner for shuttle, you can do a different section each day, but it's more fun to get dropped off at the top and sefl support all the way down.
"Kernix" wrote in message oups.com...
Actually, I'll be going solo unless my one buddy can make it. For
Thursday, by the time I get up there it will be late so I'll probably
get a campsite. And what's the general speed again - 1/2 hr per mile?
I'm sure I'll stop a lot to take in the scenery - no rush.

posted to rec.boats.paddle
Joe Pylka

"Kernix" wrote
A weekend trip is what I'm thinking - actually Thurs night to Sunday
morning. Any idea when it will warm enough to swim? May?
Jim

The only practical campsites on Pine Barrens Rivers are on the Mullica
River, operated by NJ Forests & Parks. At best an overnight... Wading
River has a few campground/picnic areas at Hawken Bridge, Godfrey Bridge,
then Bodine Field; but you generally pass by all of these within a single
day trip. There are one or two commercial campgrounds located on some of
these rivers that you might be able to stay at overnite. Google up
Albocondo as an example.
Water temps rise earlier than other NJ rivers, but late May would still
be chancy. June is better but you also get the school vacation crowds and
the mosquitoes...

Joe P.

posted to rec.boats.paddle
Kernix

Thanks. I'm thinking of going in a few weeks. I'll do short paddles and
take my time. So where do I get info on where to put in, where the
campsites are, maps, service for getting back to my car, etc?

Jim

posted to rec.boats.paddle
Cyli

On 4 Apr 2006 08:48:55 -0700, "Kernix" wrote:

Thanks. I'm thinking of going in a few weeks. I'll do short paddles and
take my time. So where do I get info on where to put in, where the
campsites are, maps, service for getting back to my car, etc?

Jim

DeLorme maps? State DNR? Tourism sites for the area?
--

r.bc: vixen
Speaker to squirrels, willow watcher, etc..
posted to rec.boats.paddle
Kernix

I've searched on line with no sites offering what I need.

Yacht Charter in LA/OC/Venture area [email protected] General 2 March 11th 06 03:28 PM
Lead available in Cinci Ohio area. Stuart Wheaton Boat Building 3 March 11th 06 01:09 PM
liveaboard marina's in the LAX area? scubabri Cruising 1 March 10th 06 04:08 AM
Sea Kayak Camping Drew Cutter General 20 February 3rd 06 05:54 PM
Keep Bilge Area Dry or Keep It Wet for Winterizing? [email protected] General 23 November 30th 05 05:21 PM