posted to rec.boats.building
Stuart Wheaton

Default Lead available in Cinci Ohio area.

Anybody casting a keel and interested in a source for quite a lot of lead?
A Cincinnati area private target range has a few years worth of used bullets
for sale.
You come and get it, pay less than scrap price. I guesstimate several tons
(20+ 5 gallon buckets)
Bullet lead is probably about 98,1,1 (lead antimony,tin) so you might need
to add some high antimony lead to the mix.
The range is indoors, so the lead is dry and free of contaminants other than
paper circles.
We do not usually permit copper jacketed bullets, but there might be a trace
of that too.

E-mail me and I will put you in contact with the guy in charge.

Stuart

posted to rec.boats.building
Stuart Wheaton

posted to rec.boats.building
Glenn Ashmore

Bullet lead is as good as or better than wheel weights for keels. You do
get a lot more dross off bullets that have sat inside a sand bank for a
year or two but you don't have to deal with a mass of clips and a lot of
grease smoke when you melt them down. The copper jackets just float to the
top of the pot and are easy to skim off.

The down side is a 5 gal bucket of bullets weighs a heck of a lot more than
a bucket of wheel weights. You need a fork lift to move one. Also it is a
good idea to have a pig tested for antimony content after melting down.
Bullet lead seems to vary more than wheel weights. Especially from ranges
used by lot of hand loaders and black powder shooters.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com