Courtney Thomas

Default where2 get cheap sounding lead ?

Maybe a fisherman's outlet ?

Hopefully,
Courtney
Skip Gundlach

If you're making your own, go to the tire shops and get their used lead. See
Glenn Ashmore's site about how he built his keel!

L8R

Skip, sold out and headed to moving aboard and cutting the cord

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
"Courtney Thomas" wrote in message
news
Maybe a fisherman's outlet ?

Hopefully,
Courtney

Rich Hampel

Go to an automotive tire store and buy some used tire weights. Any old
scrap lead will do.

Melt the lead (do this outdoors) in an old pot, and pour it into a mold
that you make. Make a sounding lead shape using wax.
Make a mold for the lead using 'cement mortar mix' from home depot etc.
with the wax 'image' inside it. Mix up the mortar mix with only enough
water to make the cement 'barely stick together' - 'ram' the barely wet
cement together ... to form a mold that easily breaks apart.
Put the mold in an oven inverted so that the wax melts and runs out the
mold, heat the 'weak cement' at 300 degrees for at least 8 hours to
drive off all moisture in the mold.
Heat the lead in an old pot until it melts (do this outside to prevent
breathing lead vapors)., pour the lead into the mold and let cool.
brreak up the cement mortar mix carefully so as not to also break the
lead, trim the lead to remove all imperfections.

If the tire store wont sell old lead tire balancing weights, buy 4 ox.
fishing sinkers from a fishing shop and melt them, etc. Any old scrap
lead wil do.

Hope this helps.
Rosalie B.

"Skip Gundlach" skipgundlach at earthlink dot fishcatcher (.net)
wrote:

If you're making your own, go to the tire shops and get their used lead. See
Glenn Ashmore's site about how he built his keel!

Is there that much lead in a sounding lead?

In any case, I really do not agree that melting lead is the way to go
because lead overexposure is no joke, and it can occur even outdoors.
If you were doing it on a very limited basis, it probably would be OK
provided that you were not also exposed in other ways (like removing
lead paint or making your own lead shot).

grandma Rosalie
KLC Lewis

Courtney,

This is the cheapest one I've found so far:

http://www.elishawebb.com/Leadlines.htm

"Courtney Thomas" wrote in message
news
Maybe a fisherman's outlet ?

Hopefully,
Courtney

Gordon

How does melting lead expose you to lead? There are NO lead fumes and you
can wear gloves. If melting lead was a problem, every person that ever
soldered would have a problem!
That said, old tire weights are covered with dirt, grease, rubber and
everything else off the road and will certainly smoke and smell bad when
melting the lead and that stuff, I would not breathe!
I melt the stuff outside in a coffee can on an old camp stove.
Gordon

wrote:

If you're making your own, go to the tire shops and get their used lead.

See
Glenn Ashmore's site about how he built his keel!

Is there that much lead in a sounding lead?

In any case, I really do not agree that melting lead is the way to go
because lead overexposure is no joke, and it can occur even outdoors.
If you were doing it on a very limited basis, it probably would be OK
provided that you were not also exposed in other ways (like removing
lead paint or making your own lead shot).

grandma Rosalie

KLC Lewis

There's also no reason that I can think of which demands that a lead
actually be made of lead. I should think that one could be fabricated from
mild steel quite cheaply. Epoxy coating would make an effective barrier
against corrosion. Stainless would be better, but more expensive.

KLC Lewis
www.cafepress.com/tmen
www.heavenisforsale.com

wrote:

If you're making your own, go to the tire shops and get their used lead.

See
Glenn Ashmore's site about how he built his keel!

Is there that much lead in a sounding lead?

In any case, I really do not agree that melting lead is the way to go
because lead overexposure is no joke, and it can occur even outdoors.
If you were doing it on a very limited basis, it probably would be OK
provided that you were not also exposed in other ways (like removing
lead paint or making your own lead shot).

grandma Rosalie

Rosalie B.

"Gordon" wrote:

How does melting lead expose you to lead? There are NO lead fumes and you

There ARE lead fumes. I once sampled in an old garage where they were
melting lead to make flower arranging frogs (those things with the
spikes in them that sit in the bottom of the vase so the flower stems
don't fall over). The whole place was so permeated with lead that
they could not even tear it down without making it hazardous waste.
Great overexposures to lead.

Welding, even on mild steel can create a problem, and also of course
using red lead paint, or doing construction on steel that has been
painted with lead paint. Even children who live near a construction
project on a bridge which has been painted with lead paint can lead
overexposures.

can wear gloves. If melting lead was a problem, every person that ever

Gloves only protect you from the heat. The danger with lead is
inhaling the fume.

soldered would have a problem!

I've also sampled in radiator repair shops - lots of lead exposure
when they solder the radiators. Respirators required and periodic
blood testing. Ventilation helps.

Most people that use lead-tin solder don't do enough of it to have a
problem. The amount of solder is small, and they heat it just barely
hot enough to flow. The amount generated in the microchip industry
for instance is not hazardous.

That said, old tire weights are covered with dirt, grease, rubber and
everything else off the road and will certainly smoke and smell bad when
melting the lead and that stuff, I would not breathe!
I melt the stuff outside in a coffee can on an old camp stove.
Gordon

Dirt, grease and rubber may smell bad, but the lead itself is the
biggest hazard.

I realize that this goes counter to the macho culture, but it is the
truth.

.. .
wrote:

If you're making your own, go to the tire shops and get their used lead.

See
Glenn Ashmore's site about how he built his keel!

Is there that much lead in a sounding lead?

In any case, I really do not agree that melting lead is the way to go
because lead overexposure is no joke, and it can occur even outdoors.
If you were doing it on a very limited basis, it probably would be OK
provided that you were not also exposed in other ways (like removing
lead paint or making your own lead shot).

grandma Rosalie

grandma Rosalie
Gordon

The boiling point of pure lead is 3180F. The melting point is 621.43F.
Vaporization will not occur at the melting point as you yourself pointed out
with your comment about the microchip industry.
What you sampled, IMHO, was lead dust, not fumes. Did you measure the
particle sizes present?
What was they're method of melting the lead? If they were using a welding
torch, they could very well be exceeding the 3180F temps. This won't happen
with a stove.
Macho Man thump thump thump (sound of beating my chest ;) )

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
"Gordon" wrote:

[...]

.. .