KLC Lewis

There's also no reason that I can think of which demands that a lead
actually be made of lead. I should think that one could be fabricated from
mild steel quite cheaply. Epoxy coating would make an effective barrier
against corrosion. Stainless would be better, but more expensive.

KLC Lewis
www.cafepress.com/tmen
www.heavenisforsale.com

"Gordon" wrote in message
How does melting lead expose you to lead? There are NO lead fumes and
you
can wear gloves. If melting lead was a problem, every person that ever
soldered would have a problem!
That said, old tire weights are covered with dirt, grease, rubber and
everything else off the road and will certainly smoke and smell bad when
melting the lead and that stuff, I would not breathe!
I melt the stuff outside in a coffee can on an old camp stove.
Gordon

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
"Skip Gundlach" skipgundlach at earthlink dot fishcatcher (.net)
wrote:

If you're making your own, go to the tire shops and get their used lead.

See
Glenn Ashmore's site about how he built his keel!

Is there that much lead in a sounding lead?

In any case, I really do not agree that melting lead is the way to go
because lead overexposure is no joke, and it can occur even outdoors.
If you were doing it on a very limited basis, it probably would be OK
provided that you were not also exposed in other ways (like removing
lead paint or making your own lead shot).

grandma Rosalie