Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to rec.boats.paddle
Wilko

Default Drysuit repair and alteration experience.

Yeah, I know what some of you think: "He never wanted a dry suit."

Granted, I didn't, mostly because of the high price they normally are.

Yesterday I bought a brand new one for 10 euro's (That's roughly 12 US$)
at a local smoke and water dagame shop, the only downside was that the
latex neck and ankle gaskets were damaged.

I thought that there was already an amazing price on the tag, but due to
the extensive damage to the gaskets I talked the owner down to 10 Euro's
:-).

Since it's really comfortably my size (6'8") and since the ankle gaskets
were shredded, I guess very few people would be interested in even
asking for the price.

Now that I have bought it, I have a couple of questions for experienced
dry suit owners:

-I want to add a relief zipper.

Can this be done by someone handy enough to replace the latex gaskets,
or do you recommend having it done by a company who specializes in that?

-I want to add neoprene gaskets over the latex ones, in part to prevent
scratch and UV damage as well as to keep the water out even better.
Anyone know of a company in Europe who does that kind of alteration?
I can do it myself, cutting up an old thin wetsuit and sewing on the
gaskets myself. Still, I prefer it done by someone who knows what
they're doing... :-)

-I was thinking about having latex socks added to it instead of gaskets.
I remember reading on RBP (probably years ago) that it is better for the
circulation as well as making certain that you keep your feet dry. I was
thinking about wearing booties over them. Anyone know where I can find
those latex socks in Europe (or online?) ?

Finally, I only found one company (Hiko, in Prague, CZ) who seems to do
the replacement of latex gaskets. Anyone know of such a company closer
to the Netherlands?

--
Wilko van den Bergh wilkoa t)dse(d o tnl
Eindhoven The Netherlands Europe