posted to rec.boats.paddle
Wilko

Default Drysuit repair and alteration experience.

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

But truthfully, I got a Kokatat bag suit a couple of years ago. Everybody told
me I just *had* to have a relief zipper, so I paid the extra bucks and got one.

I find it counter productive when windsurfing because it interferes with the
harness's catching that rope that hangs down from the booms.

I think that's less of an issue when paddling. There's nothing that
should come so close to the relief zipper that it can catch. Also, I
could add a flap with velcro over it, just as there is over the normal
zipper on this drysuit.

Is the zipper on your suit cross-shoulder or diagonal?

Diagonal, and on the front.

I could see the relief zipper's being worth something to me if my suit's zipper
was cross-shoulder, but it's diagonal and it's so easy to just unzip it that the
relief zipper really doesn't add anything for me.

Even with a tight spraydeck and a PFD over it? Knowing from wearing
wetsuits with a semi-drytop how much trouble not having a relief zipper
is, I hate to have to undo all of that instead of using a seperate zipper.

I also see a marginal safety issue: one more thing to forget to zip, and having
the suit peeled down off the upper body seems to me like a much better reminder
to get it all closed up before going back on the water.

Hmmm, I never forgot to close my zipper when wearing a wetsuit, so I
doubt that I'll forget it when wearing a drysuit. But who knows what
happen to my memory as I get older... ;-)

--
Wilko van den Bergh wilkoa t)dse(d o tnl
Eindhoven The Netherlands Europe