posted to rec.boats.paddle
(PeteCresswell)

Default Drysuit repair and alteration experience.

Per Wilko:
Now that I have bought it, I have a couple of questions for experienced
dry suit owners:

-I want to add a relief zipper.

You can have mine. (just kidding...)

But truthfully, I got a Kokatat bag suit a couple of years ago. Everybody told
me I just *had* to have a relief zipper, so I paid the extra bucks and got one.

I find it counter productive when windsurfing because it interferes with the
harness's catching that rope that hangs down from the booms.

Haven't tried paddling with it yet - but probably will within a few days.

Is the zipper on your suit cross-shoulder or diagonal?

I could see the relief zipper's being worth something to me if my suit's zipper
was cross-shoulder, but it's diagonal and it's so easy to just unzip it that the
relief zipper really doesn't add anything for me.

I also see a marginal safety issue: one more thing to forget to zip, and having
the suit peeled down off the upper body seems to me like a much better reminder
to get it all closed up before going back on the water.

OTOH, if somebody is determined to use the thing while *on* the water.....
--
PeteCresswell