posted to rec.boats.paddle,rec.boats
Don White

Default Kentucky May Do Away With Boat Launching Fees

Doug Kanter wrote:

I like the bike idea. But, only if roads are REALLY designed to make it safe
to use bikes. One step in that direction would be mandatory annual driving &
vision re-testing for anyone over 50. A few years back, an old lady here hit
two girls who were standing ON THE SIDEWALK. She said she thought they were
garbage cans. As much as I love biking, there aren't many places I feel
safe.

Same here. About 8 months before I retired, I bought a 'comfort' type
bike from a well respected local bike shop. I had a number of the
components upgraded, such as crank, seat, rear wheel & spokes etc before
picking it up April 2003.
I used it regularly until the end of that October. I may have used it
once since then.
Here on the peninsula, the streets can be narrow and hilly with heavy
traffic at times. (think a smaller version of Boston downtown)
posted to rec.boats.paddle,rec.boats
Doug Kanter

"Don White" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:

[...]

I don't understand why people don't think about elderly drivers correctly.
They think it's funny that old people drive down a 40 mph street doing 11
mph. But, nobody really wants to face reality and think about WHY old people
are driving that way.

Doug Kanter

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 15:00:47 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"Don White" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:

[...]

Hell I do that.

You do it consciously, as a hobby. That's different.

DSK

No, he does it just to **** off the liberal driving behind him.

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
There are more conservatives in this town than in yours I'd bet. :)

You mean real conservatives, or Bush-Cheney cheerleader
"neoconservatives"?

This is a very red state, however I happen to live in a
college town. No bet on that one no matter which you mean.

However, it is amusing to do.

What I really enjoy is driving down the middle of the road at JUST
under the speed limit. :)

Can't do that around here. If you didn't get flattened by a
stream of SUVs going 80 in a 35 zone, the local SWAT team
would take you out for being obviously deranged & having
harmful intent.

I think people around here are confused between their
speedometers and their tachs.

DSK

Doug Kanter

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 15:29:15 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

. ..
wrote:

"Don White" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:

[...]

ROTFL!!!

You're pretty easy to figure out, Tom. You're like me in some ways, although
I might be more subtle. I hate it when I'm doing 72 in on a 65 mph highway,
with plenty of room ahead of me, and some putz starts passing me at 72.38
mph. I just know that he's gonna get two car lengths ahead of me and drop
into my lane & slow down. So, I tweak the cruise control to 74-ish, and make
him speed up. I'll do this 2-3 times to make sure he's serious. Usually,
he's not.

I'm also an artist with the side view mirrors. At night, the same kinds of
putzes like to get into my blind spot, so their lights shine right in my
eyes. I adjust the mirror and send the gift back to him. Great fun. Almost
ran someone right off the road once, but usually, it just forces them to
make up their minds and either pass like a real man, or back the hell off.

Don White

wrote:

"Don White" wrote in message

Doug Kanter wrote:

[...]

I used to do a lot of that 'mirror adjusting' when people would ride my
ass with their beams shining in my face.
Way back, I was irritated with oncoming traffic not dimming from high
beam on two lane highways. My brother-in-law bought me a beautiful
sealed beam unit from Bosch that was more powerful than normal...in fact
later on that powerful bulb was outlawed in this province.
If some jackass came at me with his brights on, I'd reply with mine.
That always brought a reaction.
Another thing I would do is let a car tailgating me with highbeams
pass... then I'd ride his ass for a few miles with my Bosch beams
lighting up his whole interior.
Now I live in town and rarely drive any distance at night.
Doug Kanter

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 16:16:33 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

. ..
On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 15:29:15 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

~~ snippage ~~

[...]

I don't screw around on the highway - too much at stake.

Bah. I make sure I'm dealing with just one at a time, that I have an "out",
and that nobody else is nearby to be affected by my fun.

CalifBill

"Don White" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 15:29:15 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

m...

wrote:

"Don White" wrote in message

Doug Kanter wrote:

[...]

So.because he is an idiot, you become one also?

Don White

CalifBill wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message

Doug Kanter wrote:

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 15:29:15 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

om...

wrote:

"Don White" wrote in message

[...]

I figure it's my duty to help stamp out idiocy.
Don't take it personal Billy.
RCE

The truck I had before this one, I wired the backup lights to a switch
on the dash. It was most amusing to stop at a light and flip them
switch - the looks on the people behind me was just priceless.

Heh. I did the same thing on my first car - a '62 Ford Sunliner. I wired
them to a switch mainly because the factory switch in the gearshift was
broken and it was the only easy way to get them to work.

Being young and an idiot, (or is that a young idiot/) I got big yuks out of
switching them on when a car came up too close behind me and start
tailgating. You could see the front end of their car take a nosedive
downward as they jammed on their brakes.

Stupid thing to do, when I think about it now.

RCE