Bert Robbins

Default Space Patrol...

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
"As of last weekend, 36.4 million people had seen this year's five
best-picture nominees in theaters, compared to 173.8 million the year
of "Titanic.""

Then, just to prove a point, which I'm not exactly sure what point was
being made, there is this.

"Tom O'Neil of the awards Web site, theenvelope.com says this year's
Oscar show will probably be the lowest rated ever, but it shouldn't
matter.

"If we judge the success of the Oscars by the number of people who
watch them, then we're as guilty as Hollywood studios who judge the
success of movies by how many people see them," he said."

Um...excuse me, but I thought the whole idea of making a movie is to
entertain the maximum number of people possible in order to make the
maximum amount of money or, as we capitalists put is, ROI.

Honest to pete - these people can't be that stupid - or can they?

No, that's not *the* purpose of making a movie, although that certainly
has been the motivation of most of the "Hollywood type" movie for decades.
Many of the best movies ever made were not necessarily produced or
directed for the widest possible appeal and biggest possible box office,
but for the sake of art.

What is your definition of "best movies?"

There are higher callings than huge profits.

Such as?

Space Patrol... JimH General 3 March 5th 06 04:33 PM
Space Patrol... Bert Robbins General 1 March 5th 06 03:28 PM
Space Patrol... DSK General 0 March 5th 06 03:05 PM
Space Patrol... JohnH General 0 March 5th 06 01:04 PM
Space from US to Hawaii? [email protected] Cruising 9 January 9th 06 04:10 AM