Default May Day, May Day becomes Time To Pay Day for Oregon Teens......

And rightly so!

Press Release Date: Mar. 3, 2006
Contact: 13th District Public Affairs
Phone: (206) 220-737

Contact: Curry County District Attorney
Gold Beach, Ore. Office
Phone: (541) 247-3302

TEEN HOAX CALLERS ORDERED TO REPAY COSTS

SEATTLE - Two teenagers who made four hoax calls in Brookings, Ore., in
October 2005, have been given probation and ordered to pay restitution
to the Coast Guard and serve time in juvenile hall.

Michael Plew was found to have committed four counts of disorderly
conduct and has been placed on probation and given 32 days of detention
in juvenile hall. The 17 year old has also been ordered to pay
$53,233.80 to the United States Coast Guard.
Levi Henry was found to have committed one count of disorderly conduct
and has also been placed on probation and given eight days of detention
in juvenile hall. He has been ordered to pay $10,650.50 to the United
States Coast Guard.

The terms of probation require Plew and Henry to obtain employment in
order to make their restitution payments. In the event the juveniles
are unable to obtain a job, Curry County will allow them to earn money
for their restitution by participating in a variety of community
service activities including forest service projects, litter pickup,
and rest area grounds maintenance. After turning eighteen, Plew and
Henry are required to continue to pay restitution or face jail time.

The searches caused by the hoax calls resulted in more than 20 hours of
searching by the Coast Guard and local responders.

The first hoax call was received by the Coast Guard in early October
from an individual claiming to be on a disabled recreational vessel.
Two 47-foot motor lifeboats a mobile shore unit from Coast Guard
Station Chetco River, Ore., and an HH-65 Dolphin helicopter from Coast
Guard Air Station North Bend, Ore., searched for a boater in distress
for nine hours.

In mid October and again at the end of October, the Coast Guard
received radio transmissions from vessels claiming to be in distress
and in need of assistance. During those cases, two 47-foot motor
lifeboats, three mobile land units and a 25-foot response boat were
launched to assist.

The Curry County District Attorney's Office, Curry County Sheriff's
Department, Brookings Police Department, and the Federal Communications
Commission assisted the Coast Guard with the investigation.

The Coast Guard reminds individuals that false distress calls place
unnecessary risk on would-be rescuers and interfere with legitimate
search and rescue cases. False calls also cost taxpayers hundreds of
thousands of dollars annually. It costs approximately $1,200 per hour
to operate a Coast Guard 47-foot motor lifeboat, while a helicopter or
larger cutter may cost from $9,000 to $12,000 an hour.

To listen to an audio clip of one of the hoax calls, click on the
following link: http://www.piersystem.com/clients/uscg-13/48112.mp3

JR North

I seriously hope this is a lesson well heeded by all the other little
assholes (juveniles and otherwise) who think this kind of thing is
funny.They should also fine their parents a like amount for failing to
instill the kind of values that impart the common sense to decide not to
do this kind of thing.
JR

And rightly so!

JohnH

On 3 Mar 2006 17:18:46 -0800, wrote:

[...]

I love it. Of course, the punishment will be thrown out by some activist
judge up the line who considers fake 'Mayday' calls a legitimate form of
expression.

The judge who sentenced this punishment has his head screwed on properly.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

JohnH wrote:

I love it. Of course, the punishment will be thrown out by some activist
judge up the line who considers fake 'Mayday' calls a legitimate form of
expression.

The judge who sentenced this punishment has his head screwed on properly.
--
'Til next time,

That's just plain silly.
Even out here in blue America we don't have judges that sanction
fraudulent emergency calls. I suspect you probably knew that. Pointing
out the shortcomings of the government policies and/or elected
officials on the local, regional, or national level is a legitimate and
useful form of expression worthy of protection and guaranteed by the
Constitution. (even if currently restricted and discouraged). Sending
the police department, fire department, or Coast Guard on a wild goose
chase that costs the taxpayers a lot of money and (worse) ties up
resources that could be required to respond to a genuine emergency is
not.

99% of Americans and certainly 99.9% of judges will agree that freedom
of speech doesn't allow you to holler "Fire!" in a theater, (unless
there's really a fire in the theater).

I think this case reflects the result of lax parental supervision, a
sense of entitlement or being above the law- maybe even a feeling that
"If I own this GD radio I can use it anyway I want to..."

Not only should the kids be required to pay back the full cost of this
search, but they should *not* be allowed to accept money to pay the
fines from possibly wealthy parents.
If I were the judge, I'd put them to work doing every dirty job that
needed doing around the Coast Guard station and credit their time, at
minimum wage, toward the fine.

JohnH

On 5 Mar 2006 10:36:54 -0800, wrote:

JohnH wrote:

I love it. Of course, the punishment will be thrown out by some activist
judge up the line who considers fake 'Mayday' calls a legitimate form of
expression.

The judge who sentenced this punishment has his head screwed on properly.
--
'Til next time,

That's just plain silly.

I agree. I can't believe you took all the time to make that reply. But,
maybe some folks need to be told!

[...]

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 18:57:13 GMT, Gene Kearns
wrote:

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 07:40:10 -0500 in rec.boats, JohnH penned the
following thoughts:

I love it. Of course, the punishment will be thrown out by some activist
judge up the line who considers fake 'Mayday' calls a legitimate form of
expression.

The judge who sentenced this punishment has his head screwed on properly.

I don't agree. $53,233.80 is way too much of a penalty.... and
punishes at the expense of teaching.

I'd rather see the judge sentence this little idiot to XX amount of
time on board a boat with the Coasties. Let him see and learn first
hand about what they do and the ramifications of his actions....that
he endangered others lives and wasted taxpayer's money...why there are
laws against crying wolf.

The second part of his punishment would be to talk to school, church,
and civic groups about the USCG, what he did, and why it is wrong.

Then, maybe everybody would walk away with something. I can't see
taking a kid's college fund because he did something really stupid.
Sentencing him to 9.5 years labor (figuring taxes and wages at
$8.00/hr) is more than some people receive for premeditated violent
crimes.

Hell, I'd love to go spend x amount of time with the coasties! I think the
punishment is fine, especially letting them work off the fine - hopefully
by picking up dead fish and trash along the coastline.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

JohnH wrote:

Hell, I'd love to go spend x amount of time with the coasties! I think the
punishment is fine, especially letting them work off the fine - hopefully
by picking up dead fish and trash along the coastline.
--

Dead fish and trash along the coastline? Please, John. At the risk of
sounding like somebody from one of the central states, we ain't got no

JohnH wrote:

Whoops. I keep forgetting that no one up there ever throws trash overboard!
In any case, I hope they find some ****ty job for those kids and work 'em
hard.
--

Folks out here are generally a bit more environmentally concerned, but
the actual reason you don't see trash is that our highly educated west

How to get experience so that I can escape? henderob Cruising 23 February 7th 06 06:05 AM
Carribean Sail Don White General 16 November 18th 05 01:23 AM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 7 October 12th 05 10:25 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM