JohnH

Default May Day, May Day becomes Time To Pay Day for Oregon Teens......

On 5 Mar 2006 10:36:54 -0800, wrote:

JohnH wrote:

I love it. Of course, the punishment will be thrown out by some activist
judge up the line who considers fake 'Mayday' calls a legitimate form of
expression.

The judge who sentenced this punishment has his head screwed on properly.
--
'Til next time,

That's just plain silly.

I agree. I can't believe you took all the time to make that reply. But,
maybe some folks need to be told!

Even out here in blue America we don't have judges that sanction
fraudulent emergency calls. I suspect you probably knew that. Pointing
out the shortcomings of the government policies and/or elected
officials on the local, regional, or national level is a legitimate and
useful form of expression worthy of protection and guaranteed by the
Constitution. (even if currently restricted and discouraged). Sending
the police department, fire department, or Coast Guard on a wild goose
chase that costs the taxpayers a lot of money and (worse) ties up
resources that could be required to respond to a genuine emergency is
not.

99% of Americans and certainly 99.9% of judges will agree that freedom
of speech doesn't allow you to holler "Fire!" in a theater, (unless
there's really a fire in the theater).

I think this case reflects the result of lax parental supervision, a
sense of entitlement or being above the law- maybe even a feeling that
"If I own this GD radio I can use it anyway I want to..."

Not only should the kids be required to pay back the full cost of this
search, but they should *not* be allowed to accept money to pay the
fines from possibly wealthy parents.
If I were the judge, I'd put them to work doing every dirty job that
needed doing around the Coast Guard station and credit their time, at
minimum wage, toward the fine.

--
'Til next time,

John H