posted to rec.boats.paddle
Richard Ferguson

Default Old Town Otter Canoe? (Not Kayak)

Another posting in the ongoing saga of my search for a solo whitewater
canoe for not too much money. (I recently noticed someone was offering
an outfitted Outrage for $500, a great deal, but at 200 pounds, I need
an Outrage X).

Once upon a time, Old Town made a whitewater canoe called the Otter. In
their current catalog, the Otter is a Kayak.

Someone is offering me one of these canoes, fully outfitted, Perception
saddle, thigh straps, float bags, etc. He is asking $300, he might take
less. I have seen the pictures, but not the boat. On paper, it sounds
like a good deal. It is maybe 30 minutes away, so I am inclined to at
least go over and look at it.

It is 13' 10" long, I don't know the width. I would guess that it
probably is an old style whitewater boat. Based on previous
discussions, I suspect that it might be fairly good on bigger water. At
that length, I suspect that I could load it up with camping gear without
problems. I assume it would be a step up from my 16 foot Old Town
Camper canoe, but not as good as something shorter and more modern,
especially in tighter creeks, etc. If I thought that I could get an
Outrage X for $500, I would hold out, but I doubt that I will be that lucky.

Is anyone familiar with an Old Town Otter whitewater canoe?

Richard

--
http://www.fergusonsculpture.com
Sculptures in copper and other metals
posted to rec.boats.paddle
Steve Cramer

It is indeed an old WW canoe, emphasis on the old. I recall looking at
one circa 1990. It had been out of production a few years then. My
recollection is that it was very flat bottomed, and fairly shallow. I
think if you put your 200 pounds in it the rails will be perilously
close to the water. Not to mention that you'd be buying 20 year old plastic.

What happend to the Encore? I think that's the best thing you've come
across so far.

Steve

Richard Ferguson wrote:
[...]

Athens, GA
posted to rec.boats.paddle
Carey Robson

Hello Richard,

I owned and used an Old Town Otter for about five years. At the time I
weighed 185 lbs. Its flatter bottom gives it initial stability. To turn
radically, (and it will), it must be leaned. It was made of first generation
royalex and is extremely tough. I have and still use an Old Town Tripper
made in 1978. For your and my weight the boat is wet in grade three waves.
It has Old Town's traditional fine bow that does not lift that well.

I went from the Otter to an H2Pro. There are several videos on
www.CanoeBC.ca - Videos with me paddling both of these boats in grade 3.
The price of the Otter is good though I still think you would be happier in
a H2Pro. As a certified Master Instructor, I have paddled just about every
boat that many others have mentioned and aside from some of the new boats
from Esquif, I found them less desirable for my weight, now 205, ability and
the type of water I wanted to paddle.

Sincerely,
Carey Robson

"Richard Ferguson" wrote in message
[...]

posted to rec.boats.paddle
Richard Ferguson

When he took the Encore out of storage, it was heavily damaged, he did
not know how. He called me, and then took it to the dump.

Richard

Richard Ferguson wrote:

[...]

posted to rec.boats.paddle
padeen

Richard,
I've paddled an Outrage and find it has no trouble with my weight at #240.
I also think the Encore is one of the better boats you can find, with either
the Encore or the Outrage a far better boat than the H2Pro, which is a slug.
I don't think you (or anyone else) needs an Outrage X, unless perhaps for
class III tandem tripping.

Brad

[...]

posted to rec.boats.paddle
Richard Ferguson

Thanks to all for their comments.

I went out and looked at it, it is about 13 feet 9 inches long, about 31
inches wide. To my eye, the boat had very traditional lines, fine ends,
and minimal rocker, maybe an inch or two. I am hardly a canoe guru, but
I understand boat shapes, and it just didn't look like the whitewater
boats of recent years at all. It looked like it had a lot more common
with standard fla****er boats, just scaled down a bit.

Anyway, I decided to keep looking. I will look for a boat of a somewhat
newer generation.

Richard