posted to rec.boats.paddle
padeen

Default Old Town Otter Canoe? (Not Kayak)

Richard,
I've paddled an Outrage and find it has no trouble with my weight at #240.
I also think the Encore is one of the better boats you can find, with either
the Encore or the Outrage a far better boat than the H2Pro, which is a slug.
I don't think you (or anyone else) needs an Outrage X, unless perhaps for
class III tandem tripping.

Brad

"Richard Ferguson" wrote in message
Another posting in the ongoing saga of my search for a solo whitewater
canoe for not too much money. (I recently noticed someone was offering an
outfitted Outrage for $500, a great deal, but at 200 pounds, I need an
Outrage X).

Once upon a time, Old Town made a whitewater canoe called the Otter. In
their current catalog, the Otter is a Kayak.

Someone is offering me one of these canoes, fully outfitted, Perception
saddle, thigh straps, float bags, etc. He is asking $300, he might take
less. I have seen the pictures, but not the boat. On paper, it sounds
like a good deal. It is maybe 30 minutes away, so I am inclined to at
least go over and look at it.

It is 13' 10" long, I don't know the width. I would guess that it
probably is an old style whitewater boat. Based on previous discussions,
I suspect that it might be fairly good on bigger water. At that length, I
suspect that I could load it up with camping gear without problems. I
assume it would be a step up from my 16 foot Old Town Camper canoe, but
not as good as something shorter and more modern, especially in tighter
creeks, etc. If I thought that I could get an Outrage X for $500, I would
hold out, but I doubt that I will be that lucky.

Is anyone familiar with an Old Town Otter whitewater canoe?

Richard

--
http://www.fergusonsculpture.com
Sculptures in copper and other metals