posted to rec.boats.paddle
Steve Cramer

Default Old Town Otter Canoe? (Not Kayak)

It is indeed an old WW canoe, emphasis on the old. I recall looking at
one circa 1990. It had been out of production a few years then. My
recollection is that it was very flat bottomed, and fairly shallow. I
think if you put your 200 pounds in it the rails will be perilously
close to the water. Not to mention that you'd be buying 20 year old plastic.

What happend to the Encore? I think that's the best thing you've come
across so far.

Steve

Richard Ferguson wrote:
Another posting in the ongoing saga of my search for a solo whitewater
canoe for not too much money. (I recently noticed someone was offering
an outfitted Outrage for $500, a great deal, but at 200 pounds, I need
an Outrage X).

Once upon a time, Old Town made a whitewater canoe called the Otter. In
their current catalog, the Otter is a Kayak.

Someone is offering me one of these canoes, fully outfitted, Perception
saddle, thigh straps, float bags, etc. He is asking $300, he might take
less. I have seen the pictures, but not the boat. On paper, it sounds
like a good deal. It is maybe 30 minutes away, so I am inclined to at
least go over and look at it.

It is 13' 10" long, I don't know the width. I would guess that it
probably is an old style whitewater boat. Based on previous
discussions, I suspect that it might be fairly good on bigger water. At
that length, I suspect that I could load it up with camping gear without
problems. I assume it would be a step up from my 16 foot Old Town
Camper canoe, but not as good as something shorter and more modern,
especially in tighter creeks, etc. If I thought that I could get an
Outrage X for $500, I would hold out, but I doubt that I will be that
lucky.

Is anyone familiar with an Old Town Otter whitewater canoe?

Richard

--
Steve Cramer
Athens, GA