Bill Blakley

Default boat recomendation

I'm in the early stages of buying a used boat. Planning on spring '04
purchase. I know I want an aft cabin, 25 - 26', single engine. I've been
leaning towards Sea Ray. They have a pretty solid reputation. But, I've seen
some good looking boats from other mfg's. Rinker, Wellcraft, Regal,
Celebrity. I'd appreciate any comments/comparisons from owners of some of
these other boats. Also, what about power plants? I've been told to stay
away from OMC. Go with Merc. Any comments? If i go with Merc, 5.7 (260) or
would I be happier with 7.4 (330)?
Thanks in advance,
Bill

Bill Kiene

Hi Bill,

After lots of research, I would love to have a boat that size with a diesel
engine and standard through hull propeller.

I am not saying this is a must, but you might look into it.

Larger boats, trucks and RVs can be fuel hogs with gasoline power.

Safety is also a plus with diesel fuel.

I think Mercruiser or Volvo are both good.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA
www.kiene.com

"Bill Blakley" wrote in message

I'm in the early stages of buying a used boat. Planning on spring '04
purchase. I know I want an aft cabin, 25 - 26', single engine. I've been
leaning towards Sea Ray. They have a pretty solid reputation. But, I've

seen
some good looking boats from other mfg's. Rinker, Wellcraft, Regal,
Celebrity. I'd appreciate any comments/comparisons from owners of some of
these other boats. Also, what about power plants? I've been told to stay
away from OMC. Go with Merc. Any comments? If i go with Merc, 5.7 (260) or
would I be happier with 7.4 (330)?
Thanks in advance,
Bill

Woodchuck

The boat may perform well when new , but after you load up all your personal
items such as gear, dishes, clothing, toys, people, extras, the 5.7 maybe
under powered for that boat.

"Bill Blakley" wrote in message
I'm in the early stages of buying a used boat. Planning on spring '04
purchase. I know I want an aft cabin, 25 - 26', single engine. I've been
leaning towards Sea Ray. They have a pretty solid reputation. But, I've

seen
some good looking boats from other mfg's. Rinker, Wellcraft, Regal,
Celebrity. I'd appreciate any comments/comparisons from owners of some of
these other boats. Also, what about power plants? I've been told to stay
away from OMC. Go with Merc. Any comments? If i go with Merc, 5.7 (260) or
would I be happier with 7.4 (330)?
Thanks in advance,
Bill

Gould 0738

Sea Ray might be a good choice, depending on a lot of subjective factors that
only you can evaluate.

Another company to look at is Cruisers Yachts. I did a boat review last month
on a Cruisers, and I felt the boat was very nicely done. If I were personally
shopping for a boat like you describe, my shopping would include both Sea Ray
and Cruisers, (along with maybe another brand or two).

One of the better designs for planing hulls
these days is put out by Larson, so you ought to check that line as well.