Doug Kanter

Default We're all in the wrong business.

"Don White" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:
I'm calling around for labor estimates to have my 3-knob bath faucet
replaced with a single handle Moen. I'm explaining that on the other side
of the wall, there's an access panel that was designed in heaven. 4'
wide, runs from floor to ceiling. It's as if you were looking at just the
framing in a half-built house. It's on the first floor. Pipes are also
totally accessible from below. Matter of fact, there's a 6" x 4' slot in
the floor. You can reach right up from the basement, if you needed to.

I've called three plumbers who live within 5-10 minutes of my home. Take
a guess at the estimates. Labor only.

I did my own conversion about 8-10 years ago.
Since my copper pipe soldering is hit & miss, I converted to plastic pipe
and used the compression fittings to join plastic to original copper. If I
was doing it now, I'd use what my plumber uses... assuming he'd lend me
his connector plier.

Don, you may have just won some sort of prize for good ideas.

Doug Kanter

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"basskisser" wrote in message
ups.com...

Doug Kanter wrote:
I'm calling around for labor estimates to have my 3-knob bath faucet
replaced with a single handle Moen. I'm explaining that on the other
side of
the wall, there's an access panel that was designed in heaven. 4'
wide, runs
from floor to ceiling. It's as if you were looking at just the
framing in a
half-built house. It's on the first floor. Pipes are also totally
accessible
from below. Matter of fact, there's a 6" x 4' slot in the floor. You
can
reach right up from the basement, if you needed to.

I've called three plumbers who live within 5-10 minutes of my home.
Take a
guess at the estimates. Labor only.

I do all of my house maintenence, remodeling, etc myself! Here in the
Atlanta area, plumbers are around $125 for the first half hour, and
$125 per hour thereafter.

I do most of it, too. But, my pipe soldering skills aren't up to my own
high standards. This faucet is leaking enough to be expensive. The
valve seat's worn to the point where it's chewing up a new washer every
week. The internal surfaces were stripped by whoever removed it before,
so the seat removal tool's got nothing to grip. I figure that if the
whole brass thing in the wall's gotta be replaced, I may as well get
what I really want: A single-handle Moen.

Get a PVC riser removal tool. Is a tapered tool for removing broken
risers. May be too big for a seat, but look at one. They are about $5
at most hardware stores. Looking at new handles for the PF 3 handle in
the tub. $11 each for plastic chunk they have been making for years?
Found a remodel set for the PF three handle. $70 at Home Depot.
Includes new seats, stems, and ceramic handles.

What's a PVC riser?

The piece that comes up and the sprinkler head attaches to. They break
when you step on them at times, or hit with the lawnmower. Is similar to
an easy-out.

And there's a tool to remove it? I'll ask one of the experts at Home Despot
this morning. I'll bring a baseball bat.

Skipper

Put a few cans of Vernors in there for him, and he'll start buying and
stocking his own soft drinks.

There is no better ginger ale than Vernors.

--
Skipper
Dan Krueger

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 01:14:47 GMT, Dan Krueger
wrote:

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 16:44:30 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 11:14:31 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

I try to hire union retirees to handle my plumbing or electrical work.

I knew that was coming. :)

Hey...I want experienced, *licensed* journeymen on the more difficult
projects, or supervised apprentices on the simpler ones. When I have a
union mechanic on my property, I don't have to worry about him screwing up
the job, nor do I have to wonder what he was doing on his last job.

IIRC, I once called the local union to ask about finding a plumber. The
retard on the phone made like I was asking how much Jupiter weighed.

ROTFL!!!

Last year I helped a friend of mine set up at a hunting/fishing/boat
show and the convention center was "union". We set up the booth and
were working on the lighting for the boats when along comes a union
steward who told us that we needed to have a union electrician inspect
the lighting rack. That in and of itself wasn't a problem - we paid
the hour electrician's fee, the guy inspected the lighting, passed it
as "good" and charged us and additional fee to plug in the extension
cord - I kid you not.

Guess how much the plugging in of the extension cord cost?

$50.00

$175.

Damn! I guess it's tougher to plug in extension cords these days.
RCE

"Dan Krueger" wrote in message
ink.net...

$175.

Damn! I guess it's tougher to plug in extension cords these days.

Well, the price doubled back when they introduced polarized plugs. You have
to match up the fat slots, ya know and that takes time.

RCE

It's Wrong!!! Capt. Rob ASA 12 January 11th 06 06:25 PM
Crantz wrong again....! Capt. Rob ASA 11 December 6th 05 09:10 AM
Did Nutsy Pick the wrong boat? Thom Stewart ASA 35 November 7th 05 05:56 PM
Sailor to launch 'wrong way' trip jlrogers ASA 0 November 5th 05 11:45 AM
Did You Pick the Wrong Boat? Capt. Rob ASA 38 November 2nd 05 11:22 AM