mark

Default boat batteries

Hi RCE, thanks I will get a 12 volt test probe. I'm hoping that there
is a fuse somewhere that I missed. I can't believe how nice all you
guys are. I'm really greatful that I can talk to all of you. I hope
someday I can return the favor.
Mark

JIMinFL

Mark,
The information you have given us so far is not enough to even begin to
troubleshoot your problem.
Please supply the make and model and year of the engine and boat so that we
can try to visualize what you are looking at. What worked with the old
batteries? What died? Were the old batteries worn down? If they were worn
down, could it be from leaving an accessory on when you left the boat, or
from months of non use? Did you check to see if the old batteries needed
water? Did you try to recharge the batteries? Did you have the batteries
tested? (Not at Sears, I hope). How old are the old batteries? Is all the
wiring to the batteries color coded? i.e. red for positive and black for
negative. Have you looked carefully for any loose wires that may not have
been reconnected to the new batteries? Where is the selector switch
physically mounted? When you are in the cockpit facing the engine, describe
where the batteries are located.

We have determined so far that the sterndrive will lift to the full up
position. It takes significant power to accomplish that task. The batteries
are OK. The next logical step to take is to follow the battery cables to see
where they go. The blacks need to go from the negative on the battery
directly to the engine block. The two red cables go from batteries to the
selector switch. The third red cable on the selector switch goes to the
starter solenoid. You may find other smaller wires connected to the
batteries. Those would be for builder installed accessories; and have
nothing to do with engine function.
Jim

"mark" wrote in message
oups.com...
boat is quite new. all wires are clean with no corrosion. It worked
with the old batteries right up until it died. when i replaced new
batteries nothing works. I either blew something or i have the wrong
batteries. power tilt is the only think that works.
Mark

mark

Hi Jim,
Batteries are located on the left when you are looking back into the
engine. The switch is mounted on the wall just above the batteries. I
have a 24 ft sea ray with a 250hp i/o motor. Everything worked with
the old deep cell bateries. They both just wore out. I had to keep
charging them until I decided to buy new batteries. The red cable goes
around the back of the engine to the other side and then under to the
starter I guess. Can't see it. All cables look new. Engine is very
clean. No corrosion. Maybe the selector switch went bad when I
connected the batteries backwards.. What do you think? Tried the
selector on all three positions. Nothing. The wiring is color coded.
Always turned the selector off when I was done using the boat. Even
disconnected the radio timer wire from the batteries so as to not wear
them down. Fuses on the top of the engine where many small red wire
attach are good. None blown. I pushed the red reset button on top of
the engine as well. Nothing. The old batteries were 2 1/2 years old.
Old batteries did need water from time to time but alway filled with
distilled water.
I hope I answered all your question. Thanks for all your time.
Mark

RCE

"mark" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Step 1. Did you get a lighted test probe? If so, connect the black lead
with the alligator clip to the negative post of either battery. Touch the
probe to the positive post of that battery. Did the light come on on the
probe? If yes, then the probe is good.

Step 2. Turn the battery switch on to "both" Connect the alligator clip to
a nearby metal part of the engine. Make sure it's on metal, not paint.
Again, touch the probe to the positive lead of either battery. Did it light
up with the same intensity? If so, good, you have at least some kind of
ground connection to the engine block. Try the positive post of the other
battery and make sure it lights also.

Step 3. Let's wait until you get this far.

RCE

mark

Hi guys,

My mechanic came by today. He said the main fuse at the starter has
blown. Everything else is fine. All connections are correct. All
lights and gadgets work now. I can't thank all of you enough for all
your help. You have taugh me quite a bit about the workings of my
boat. Thanks again for all your time. As I said before, I hope I can
return the favor one day.
Mark
p.s. My expertise is chemical metering pumps and water treatment
equipment.

RCE

"mark" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi guys,

My mechanic came by today. He said the main fuse at the starter has
blown. Everything else is fine. All connections are correct. All
lights and gadgets work now. I can't thank all of you enough for all
your help. You have taugh me quite a bit about the workings of my
boat. Thanks again for all your time. As I said before, I hope I can
return the favor one day.
Mark
p.s. My expertise is chemical metering pumps and water treatment
equipment.

Just wait until you get our bill.

RCE

JohnH

On 23 Feb 2006 09:45:56 -0800, "mark"
wrote:

[...]

Look behind the batteries and see if there is one or more fuze holders
screwed to the inside of the transom. Mine has two in-line fuzes there, and
when one of them blew, I had problems similar to yours.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
-rick-

mark wrote:

... Fuses on the top of the engine where many small red wire
attach are good. None blown. I pushed the red reset button on top of
the engine as well. Nothing.

I wonder if there was a fusible link in there somewhere.

-rick-